• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1965 Amazon 131 resto/mild custom: progress report

ctagg

Not quite sure what the site etiquette is re showing of cars mid resto, but here goes....

After 19 years of ownership, this spring I took my 65 two-door Amazon off the road for a bare metal restoration/mild customization by Lance & co at Romance of Rust, Ealing, west London. As you can see from this pic, it'd got pretty tatty, mainly due to living on the streets of London for pretty much all of that time.

Volvo_-_pre_resto_-_2_large.jpg

We took it back to bare metal, and found rust in some of the usual places, and some truly horrendous badly welded patches in some of the structural areas (the passenger side A-post had seven patches on it!). Here's a pic of the passenger side box section, which gives a taster:

box-section-and-cross-member-join_large.jpg

Still, all sorted now, and the car is 10 times stronger than it was before.

We've also done some mild customizing along the way, including frenching the front and rear lights (but keep the shape of the original fitments), relocating the rear number plate to the bumpers, and tidying up some of the trim (a new bonnet trim made of brass). Here's a few pics to give the general idea:

boot_-_pre-clearancing_large.jpg

new_Volvo_Amazon_bonnet_mascot_large.jpg

Finally, here's a pic of one of wheels, which have been painted the same as the new body colour, a midnight blue pearl:

Amazon_wheel_painted_side_view_large.jpg

I'm keeping a full blow-by-blow record of the resto here at Autopendium. Do check it out if your interested, and would welcome comments. I'll try and post occasional updates and pics here when we reach major stages.

We have a projects forum JUST for people like you (and I). We LOVE stuff like this!

Sorry. Saw there was a projects sub-forum just after I'd posted. Not sure if I can transfer it there or if I need a moderator to do it.

sweet, we have alot of performance projects on this forum, it good to see some ol' skool style hot rod styling... nice work.

sweet, we have alot of performance projects on this forum, it good to see some ol' skool style hot rod styling... nice work.

Yeah, I'm leaving the engine relatively stock (it's been uprated with a D-cam and twin SUs) for the next couple of years, while I enjoy the car and the rebuilt suspension. But then, who knows? Maybe a blower...

out of curiosity, what'd you use to replace that section of frame rail with? is there a commonly available thing, or was it just some thick gauge metal bent the same way?

Yeah, I'm leaving the engine relatively stock (it's been uprated with a D-cam and twin SUs) for the next couple of years, while I enjoy the car and the rebuilt suspension. But then, who knows? Maybe a blower...

DOH! double posting. :oops: Too late this side of the Atlantic. Time for some zzz's

out of curiosity, what'd you use to replace that section of frame rail with? is there a commonly available thing, or was it just some thick gauge metal bent the same way?

The outrigger's a replacement part, but the front-back box section had to be made up.

More difficult was making up a new rear box section (how it was, below -- will try and dig out an after shot tomorrow), which has quite a tricky curve on it where it bends around the spare wheel well. Props go to Mark at Romance of Rust for some great metal work.

rear_chassis_member_large.jpg

I need more info on that paint... That's gorgeous!

Will be posting more on the paint details when the body is painted in a couple of weeks, and will try to make sure I post details here (you can keep track of the blow-by-blow details of the resto here -- there also an RSS feed for it too, if you're into that sort of thing)

Welcome fellow UK-er! Those sound like some excellent guys to deal with. I find it very hard to find trustworthy tradesmen to hand your pride and joy over to with a sense of confidence that they're actually going to put in the effort you'd put in if you had the skills to do it yourself...if you get me!

cheers

James

Welcome fellow UK-er! Those sound like some excellent guys to deal with. I find it very hard to find trustworthy tradesmen to hand your pride and joy over to with a sense of confidence that they're actually going to put in the effort you'd put in if you had the skills to do it yourself...if you get me!

cheers

James

You're right there. Thought the project is not going to cheap, given I've had the car so long and intend to have it another 20 years, I wanted it done right. What I like about Lance & co at RoR is that not only do their skills far outweigh mine (and that's not the case with some of the dodgy MIG welding done on the car in the past), but that it matters to them that they do a good job.

Back