• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Slammed to lifted 740 wagon

I've been thinking about this project for a very long time.

I'm lusting after '98-'99 v70XC's to do this to. Think it's feasible?

I'm not adventurous enough to weld on struts, but I'm fairly confident that the XC90 struts are longer and heavier, and would fit the v70...I think. What say you all?

Henrik, nice to see you here! I'm still a huge fan of your 945. I watch that vid of you driving to Deep Purple all the time. Quite inspiring.

If I can pull off the lift on a v70XC, I want to slap a bigger turbo on it, and go OD green and flat black for paint.:nod:

The original equipment:
85.jpg

The XC90 struts (clearly longer and beefier):
fullsize_7127.jpg

So...in conjunction with some longer springs (say, Jeep Cherokee springs), I could raise the ride height without having to weld anything, right?

Also been thinking about wheel well trimming, and adding bolt on flares. Is it possible to gain anymore tire clearance in there? I think the front would be easy, but the rear door would pose a problem.

Removing the chunky plastic bumpers and bolting on tube prerunner style bumpers would be sweet too.

Been lurking v70R auctions lately...since they're AWD.

I like the sound of the beefier struts. Have no way to know if it will work until you try it.

What's going on with that long travel shiz you are working on up there??

What year Cherokee springs did you originally use on the rear of your wagon imlolin? Also what were the shocks you used originally made for? I have a 740 diesel wagon that I'd like to lift. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I like the idea of the v70xc. The only thing you'll need to worry about is positive camber from the arms. They probably have adjustable bolts from the factory though.

With my car I've just been driving it. I went on a big road trip and it wasn't too bad though its way underpowered. I need to figure out another way to mount the rear shocks. They're too long and mount too close to the axle so it bottoms out. I've been to lazy to figure it out though. With those xc90 struts, its probably possible to put on my car even with the right top hats and 960 spindles. I bet you it would work. Do you know how much travel they have?

I have decided I would like to source some heavy duty 745 rear springs and experiment with a different mounting system for them on my car. The Jeep springs are not allowing my shocks to do the job they need to do so it tends to bounce a bit and I am tired of it.

Anyone have any springs lying around?

I still love driving ths thing lifted!! I get so many positive comments on it and it is fun to drive. The amazing thing is how I can still drift it around corners (but only when it is wet since the tall tires robbed some power) and it is still just as stable as ever with the 25mm bars on it.

In the next two weeks, I am going to do an M46 conversion and install a fuel pump. That should help a lot with my lack of power since I think my pump is on it's last leg now.

Speaking of springs.... I wish I had made some retaining straps for mine. Saturday night I had free reign over my favourite intersection and decided to see how much air I could get. It was a spectacular flight until I had to come back down. Upon bouncing, I ejected my driver side spring out of the trailing arm. 30 minutes later I was back on the road, but it sure was a humorous event at the time....

The pics say it all:

picture.php

picture.php

Need some info on where to get shocks after I raise the front. Also does anyone have any insight on flipping and raising the coil seats?

Great thread- I don't know how I missed this until now! The 7xx is really an impressive offroad vehicle with a locked rear and slightly larger tires.

I miss my 745 Turbo 'expedition vehicle.' I replaced it with an Isuzu Trooper diesel but in many ways the 745 w/ G80 locker was better- the Volvo had more suspension flex, more power, and more traction in 2WD.

The main advantage of the Isuzu for me is the 30mpg diesel, heavy skid plates, and factory ventilation and intake designed for stream fording. If I had put a D24T into my 745 and installed skid plates it would have been better still.

One thing though- if you're going into remote places be conservative as hell with your modifications. Every modification is a new untested system that can make your rig less reliable. It's easier to get unstuck then to fix broken parts in the middle of nowhere! This is another reason a Volvo can be a better offroad rig than an SUV- a well maintained stock Volvo is tougher and more reliable than almost anything.

Lifting an underpowered 2WD wagon and putting it on all terrain tires? WHY?? Who in their right mind would.....

Oh. That's right.

Just picked these up:

picture.php

picture.php

30x9.50 15's on Jeep Canyon 15x8's. Price $124 One tire needs to be replaced as it has a small hole in the sidewall but it was a smoking deal anyway!

Thanks for the call yesterday about this, I appreciate the tips on this build! (I'm still going to blame you for all of this though....)

How did you get Jeep wheels to fit? My lug pattern is 5x4.25 and the Jeep is 5x4.5 I'm almost finished lifting my diesel 740 wagon and just found out that the steelies I got off a later model s70 have a totally different offset and my tires rub the strut tubes. And there only 215's! Please help

Back