• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Slammed to lifted 740 wagon

I just reverted back to a set of Omegas yesterday. I was using a set of wheel adapters that allowed the use of 5x4.5" pattern wheels. (I am now going to sell the adapters by the way.) I have also found that ther 225/75R15 tire is fantastic for this car. It is the second time I have swapped tires for a smaller size since the lift. The 225's look and feel right on the car.

I also have a set of Jeep steelies that fit the adapters that I am about to put up for sale.... All you would need is tires!!

I am definitely interested in the adapters. Do you have any pictures of the steelies? I would like them too but shipping might be a little high since I am in Md. Thanks for the fast response!

Well, it's actually been about 2 weeks since I changed out the wheels and tires on my wagon, but I am just now getting around to posting this.

I also dropped the stock wagon springs back in the rear again and the ride is now better since they are the correct rate for the car.

I have some plans for the car that I will soon accomplish. I am liking this car more and more all the time (even when the a/c comppressor locked up on it)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I just got 86 740 diesel lifted and its sitting on 235/75r15 now. I have an issue when turning low speeds (parking lots) the wheels shudder until they are straightened back out. Any suggestions on how I might resolve this?

I just got 86 740 diesel lifted and its sitting on 235/75r15 now. I have an issue when turning low speeds (parking lots) the wheels shudder until they are straightened back out. Any suggestions on how I might resolve this?

How did you lift it? Do you have soft tread blocks? Is your ackerman angle off?

How much clearancing did you do for those tires? I would wonder if they are rubbing the chassis when you are turning.

Turns out it was the power steering belt slipping from the extra tire contacting the road. I had to massage the surrounding fender areas to get them to clear. I'll try and post some pictures tomorrow. I used Cherokee springs in the rear with modified Durango shocks. The fronts I cut, flipped, raised and rewelded the coil seats to compress the front springs more to obtain my lift. It was a little rough like that so I cut a coil off and now it's perfect.

Just thought I would throw out one more pic since I actually cleaned and waxed the car for the first time in I don't know when....

picture.php

Haha, thanks! I am planning to add some to the fronts as well. Bet you can't guess what I made them out of.... :oops:

Now if I could only figure out what to do about my horrible looking bumpers!

Here is my 1989 745 on 205/75R15 Grabber AT2's. Had to bang the strut perch up (rubbed) but plan on cutting/welding it up higher and lifting the rear up.

I'd say this is the largest tire you can go without doing virtually any modifications to the front strut perches (aside from a little bit of time with a 8lb sledge). Tire diameter is 27.4".

Haha, thanks! I am planning to add some to the fronts as well. Bet you can't guess what I made them out of.... :oops:

Now if I could only figure out what to do about my horrible looking bumpers!

Heat gun broski. You can make them look pretty good. My guess is cutting boards on the flaps.

Recent pictures from our first snow. I took my yakirack off since it drops me about 2mpg and I really don't use it too often. I'm saving up for an LM7 or L33 and T56 along with a Ford 8.8 since I would blow up the Dana 30 in a hour. Reasons for the LM are its cheaper and unbeatable for my needs. Rather have the noise of a 1JZ though.
7dac5c524f0c11e3a326128d1742166d_8.jpg

7c2a96dc511e11e3930b12a8405163f1_8.jpg

064d24ae4f2311e38e780ec19be2b448_8.jpg

Did you fix your real coil-popping-loose problem? I cut some tow strap, folded it over to thicken it, looped it through the coil and seat, then put two bolts holding it together with washers and lock nuts. I gave it enough slack for the coil to fully unwind with the strap holding it in at limit.so far so good.

Never did anything else to them, I just stopped jumping the car instead. ;-)

I still plan to strap them, it's just low on the list right now.

Back