• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT sheetmetal intake (2016-2021 bump)

Cool idea for the inlets without having actual trumpets. :) Keep up the good work!

Very nicely planned and executed so far!

If you're thinking about selling 'em on T-bricks, make sure your fab is as simple as possible cause you'll get some wacky lowball price offers for your hard work and craftsmanship. Think offers like, "Dude, would you accept my 695,000 mile AW70 tranny and "Rare" German market Volvo rectal thermometer in trade? I'll kick in another $16 after the first of the month! That thermometer's digital, ya know?!"

In all seriousness though, very nicely done, glad to see more skilled fabricators in our community.

Really nice thread, I like the extra machining detail you have added to the parts. Adding the radii to the edges and profiled flanges definitely adds a few levels of quality to the parts.

Welds don't look to shabby either ;-)

Thankyou for all the feedback and props.....I love working with alum and fabricating. If this was a 4 wheel drive board id post up some pics of my 4runner with a 7mge, dual transfer cases, 4 link suspension, shaved and beefed axle housings, and alum beadlocks.
I worked on the manifold for about 2 weeks, from measuring the car, bending test plenums, and getting all sorts of frustrated, I finally nailed a design I think, that will work with the squareness of the car, but have a enough shape it will be sexy, but also have a good design so the manifold will work.
I made templates for all the parts so repicating them will be easier. I have plans if there selling to build like 1 to 2 a month. We just had a baby and I would like to have my fiance stay at home, and what a way to make the mortgage and do what i love!
With all the templates and contruction ways, the hours are kept down, and since I can build and fabricate all the parts my self (minus the fuel rail.....and injectors bungs right now, but soon my lathe will be up and running) I can keep the cost down.
I have been pm'd about a price. one is not set yet, but it wont be outragious. This will be a bolt on deal...i am hoping. I need to get mine fabbed up and installed to see about the mounting points for the throttle wheel, and vacuum hoses, and whatever else i can eliminate. But in trying to keep it plug and play, the fuel rail will be drilled for injectors, tapped for a Toyota style FPR (and included), and a 3/8 npt for inlet. Not sure what ill do for fuel lines yet, that maybe up to the end user with a parts list...well see.
I do one off manifolds for about 500 out the garage door, but thats not complete, end userstill needs to fit up all the parts and pcs and make things work. I want to keep the Volvo intake in the $600 range complete, ready for the end user to bolt on.
After the first couple, and I get my milling maching up and running, i would like to start working with tapered runners, its been dynoed on a 4g63 that a 2.5* taper provided about 20 HP on the big end. Well see what evolution and feedback does!

so... you have plans for a stainless header too??? :-D
when you start marketing these things put me down for one
and a header if you make it :-D
you have great clean welds, you have put a lot of thought into the product,
and i've NEVER been against helping out a fellow 'bricker. :-D
good work and good luck.

I would want one that I could use my stock fuel rail, FPR and injectors on. A 960 throttle body would be the TB I would use.

The plenum shape and tb pcs I have made up on the first in the drawing is for a 960 so your in luck, the tps is moved to the backside of it instead of the front like a 940....so both options are open, along with what ever anyone wanted to use, if someone would send me the TB there using im sure I can get it to work, just need to have it, drink a few beers, think about, have another beer, then build something to work, and have a beer to celebrate! Once I get my fuel rail off I should be able to do something to make it work, and lower the cost a bit. The problem that Im seeing is the volvo fpr is freakin huge and will hit my plenum, and I did not want to ruin or french in a design....but well see once its together

so... you have plans for a stainless header too??? :-D
when you start marketing these things put me down for one
and a header if you make it :-D
you have great clean welds, you have put a lot of thought into the product,
and i've NEVER been against helping out a fellow 'bricker. :-D
good work and good luck.

Yea, i am building a header, going to make it a upswept I think, still open...when I tear down to put the tranny in is when I plan on building that...heres a teaser!
1108091808.jpg

in the pic, you can see the 3/8 ss for the flanges, the bends for the primarys...and all the DP and v bands and flexys too.....

Awesome looking welds, very jealous

me too ;)

manifold looks good man!

i also have a smithy 3n1 that i rescued from a scrap yard. it's still missing the tool post and chuck but has seen some better days. i can see why they are popular, if it was still 100% it would be a decent little machine.

got the plenum bent up today and the tb and adapter tacked to the front. i still need to trim and shape for the walls if you will, the picture shows my test plenum with the final shpae it will have. Also got the intake side where the gasket goes all trued up and the trumpets all routered out. just needs a little hand work to make it a little better transition.

1109091728.jpg

1109091712.jpg

I might have a chance to get back to the garage tonight and do a little grinding.

Waiting on the reamer to drill the fuel rail.....and needing to pickup a new pump for my aircompressor.....

The bellmouths looks way better than i expected, that is really awesome.

The throttle body placement is as bad as the velocity stacks are awesome though, so you still only break even. :-P

Don't you think #3 and #4 are going to have a meltdown?

So how much to make one of these and ship to california?

Check out post #27......tells all.

Captain.....thanks on the bells....turned out better than i thought too.....
anyways, TB placement is hard. its roled down to get the tps wiring to work, and dealing with 1 and 4 lean conditions, I was thinking it can be worse than a front mount and the 1 - 2 cylinders leaning and all air crammed into number 4. I figured the intake valves are closed and the psi is constant everywhere, so 1 and 4 should get there chance.

I worked in the beginning to have a bent rear wall which would angle 1 and 4 towards the tb, but the plenum got to narrow to still have the tb in the stock location to have it a bolt on. Which is my main goal...have it a r and r

But thinking out loud here....I could move the tb towards the forward like the 1 and 2jz motors, hold on, another thought here....my 7mgte had a very similiar intake to the volvo one that Im am building...central mounted tb that actually rotated 180* back to the motor. I have a turbo intake on my na 7m. I could post a pic?

OK, so I have some spare toyota parts....this is from a Turbo MK3 supra.
1109092037a.jpg

We should be ok with tb placement.

Last edited:
Sweet thread, looks like we gained another valuable Washington bricker! How come you think a throttle body mounted on the front of the plenum would be bad?

No you have it backwards bud. #3 and #4 are getting forcefed air and will run lean.
1 and 4 will be rich. It's easy to flip flop I know i do it too now and then.

End mounted will make #4 lean.

IMO it's still better to do that rather than aim the throttle body right into a couple cylinders.

Also you can help matters via some plenum taper.

As you say though if you aimed the throttle at a 90 degree angle to the runners it'd be better from a distribution standpoint, if you can.

Check out post #27......tells all.

Captain.....thanks on the bells....turned out better than i thought too.....
anyways, TB placement is hard. its roled down to get the tps wiring to work, and dealing with 1 and 4 lean conditions, I was thinking it can be worse than a front mount and the 1 - 2 cylinders leaning and all air crammed into number 4. I figured the intake valves are closed and the psi is constant everywhere, so 1 and 4 should get there chance.

I worked in the beginning to have a bent rear wall which would angle 1 and 4 towards the tb, but the plenum got to narrow to still have the tb in the stock location to have it a bolt on. Which is my main goal...have it a r and r

But thinking out loud here....I could move the tb towards the forward like the 1 and 2jz motors, hold on, another thought here....my 7mgte had a very similiar intake to the volvo one that Im am building...central mounted tb that actually rotated 180* back to the motor. I have a turbo intake on my na 7m. I could post a pic?

Back