• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Slammed to lifted 740 wagon

I moved to Milwaukee last August and had tons of problems with tires, flats, and bent wheels. I said no more to it and lifted the 940.

b7htlh.jpg

tyresize?

this car has 225/70/16 Hankook ATM's on it. They're a 28.4" tall tire. Unlike the 30's on my other car these barely rub so I didn't hack the body up. I am considering getting some spacers and some hydra center caps since mine broke and one fell off.

For the lift:
2.5" tube welded in the middle of the front strut housings.
2.25" 27mm socket inserted below the strut inside the housing.
New KYB 940 struts
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Regular Duty AC Delco front springs off rock auto
90 Vanagon KYB shocks for the rear

Front and rear sway bars are both hooked up. Doesn't have a ton of positive camber and rides really well.

Total cost about $630 with tires installed.

this car has 225/70/16 Hankook ATM's on it. They're a 28.4" tall tire. Unlike the 30's on my other car these barely rub so I didn't hack the body up. I am considering getting some spacers and some hydra center caps since mine broke and one fell off.

For the lift:
2.5" tube welded in the middle of the front strut housings.
2.25" 27mm socket inserted below the strut inside the housing.
New KYB 940 struts
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Regular Duty AC Delco front springs off rock auto
90 Vanagon KYB shocks for the rear

Front and rear sway bars are both hooked up. Doesn't have a ton of positive camber and rides really well.

Total cost about $630 with tires installed.

What'd you do for the rear?

I have another car alongside the original grey 745 now. It's a 1994 945T. 2.5" lift in front, 97 front Jeep V8 springs in the rear equal to 2.5" as well. Vanagon/Astro rear shocks, and new KYB's up front. The Hydra's have 225/70/16 Hankook ATM's and it has a factory locker. Has front and rear sway bars. Lost 1mpg. Cruises at a better RPM. Lifted Volvo's are my favorite.

Xeq2Jmo.jpg

Looks great. I live pretty close to Milwaukee on the IL side and spend quite a bit of time there -- the streets are like the surface of the moon. Your setup is certainly beneficial. I imagine once the highway work is finally done, they'll shift their attention to the surface roads.

I'm lifting my 240 using front coil-overs on modified strut housings by Kaplhenke using Eibach springs in front and 16" tall, 5" diameter Landrum coils in a 100lb spring rate to be as close to the stock spring rate as possible in the back on Kaplhenke adjustable spring perches. I am looking for 2.5 to 3 inches of lift.

Any difference in the shocks for the Vanagons? And why KYB and not Bilsteins? The one thing I can't find for my build is what shocks to use. Do the Vanagons have enough travel for 2.5 to 3 inches of lift I assume?

Last edited:
I'm lifting my 240 using front coil-overs on modified strut housings by Kaplhenke using Eibach springs in front and 16" tall, 5" diameter Landrum coils in a 100lb spring rate to be as close to the stock spring rate as possible in the back on Kaplhenke adjustable spring perches. I am looking for 2.5 to 3 inches of lift.

Any difference in the shocks for the Vanagons? And why KYB and not Bilsteins? The one thing I can't find for my build is what shocks to use. Do the Vanagons have enough travel for 2.5 to 3 inches of lift I assume?

I think you'd be just fine.

Looks great. I live pretty close to Milwaukee on the IL side and spend quite a bit of time there -- the streets are like the surface of the moon. Your setup is certainly beneficial. I imagine once the highway work is finally done, they'll shift their attention to the surface roads.

That's what we imagine haha. It'll be another 10 years if you ask anyone. I just moved here last August.

This is my current set-up for lifting my 240 sedan 2.0", 2.5"- 3" or whatever it will take to run 27" tall tires.

Kaplhenke Racing modified adjustable strut housings
Eibach 250 front coils
IPD adjustable panhard bar
IPD adjustable upper control arms
IPD front and rear sway bars. Already installed
Landrum Performance Springs 5" diameter/16" tall/100lb rear coils. I wanted as close to the OEM spring rate as possible.
Kaplhenke Racing adjustable rear spring perches
B6 Series (24-008303) Vanagon shocks. On order.

Some sort of rear limiting strap may need to be fabricated and I may need to replace the OEM front strut mounts with something more adjustable depending on how the stock ones work when I go to get the front end aligned.

Attachments

• IMG_2139.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 107
Back