• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Upgraded radiator 240 +t install

Marvelous3

Who engineered this?
Now that summer is here in Georgia the stock NA radiator just isn't able to keep up in Atlanta traffic. To remedy this I've picked up this Be Cool universal aluminum unit.

Be Cool Qualifier Series Circle Track Hard Core Racing Radiators 35011
http://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/bci-35011/overview/

I'm very impressed with the workman ship of the unit. And made in the USA which is a plus I think. If this bitch overheats now it ain't the radiator's fault.

14162443119_5951a4a628_c.jpg

14282472522_e25e839d44_c.jpg

I picked this radiator mostly because of the 22" overall width. The ebay intercooler is only 17" tall and left me with 23" of space between the inlet and outlet pipes. I was concerned the 19" overall height of the Be Cool unit would be a problem but I hoped for the best when I ordered it.

So today I pulled the old NA 240 radiator out. I'm running an aux tranny cooler so removal is easy peasy. I go to test fit the Be Cool unit and it fits in between the intercooler perfectly. It's tall enough so that the overflow tank nipple doesn't interfere with the inlet pipe. The problem is that the radiator is too tall so the hood won't close.

So, I'm thinking I'm going to need to cut the "shelf" that the radiator sits on and fab up a new "shelf" a couple inches lower so the radiator will sit low enough for the hood to close. Has anyone ever done this?

Radiator and intercooler out
14347478732_87a5dcf8e8_c.jpg

Just intercooler sitting on the "shelf"
14162469560_907a40b6ae_c.jpg

It looks like if I get a sawzaw I can cut away some of the "shelf" that's rusted anyway like 24 or 25" in width, and then run some sheet aluminum to make a giant U shape support. What's TBricks think?

That edge is already starting to rust. You think cutting an inch or two of the rusty portion out would really be that bad? I can bolt in some bracing if structural integrity is an issue.

the radiator support adds very little if any structural integrity to the car, you will be fine... way overkill but fine!

I still say you're reinventing the wheel with that radiator. A stock radiator should have no problem keeping things cool.

This is tbricks and he already bought it so I'm betting there's already sentimental attwtcment... Go buy some 2" square tubing run some 22.5* angles and drop the center 2" make like a u shape so it at least looks clean but ya that's the frame do this before you cut the old piece out so the car doesn't go out of square

Why not just cut off the bottom part of the radiator so it fits the car. Shouldn't be rocket surgery to have someone weld it back shut and weld the neck back on.

This is tbricks and he already bought it so I'm betting there's already sentimental attwtcment... Go buy some 2" square tubing run some 22.5* angles and drop the center 2" make like a u shape so it at least looks clean but ya that's the frame do this before you cut the old piece out so the car doesn't go out of square

I'm not talking about cutting out the entire radiator support. Just cutting an inch or 2 into the shelf. The intercooler would still sit where it does not but I'd have enough space to drop the radiator onto a second support shelf 2 inches lower.

Car going out of square? lol wat?

Why not just cut off the bottom part of the radiator so it fits the car. Shouldn't be rocket surgery to have someone weld it back shut and weld the neck back on.

Hack up a brand new be cool radiator lol

I'll take pictures of my chinabay radiator that drops right in and was 110 shipped

If you're gonna hack it might as well drop the whole piece and go fawckng huge on the intercooler as well...your intercooler options increase as well.

Nice radiator, just make sure not to capture it too tightly in the chassis so that if you do encounter flex (and you will) you do not strain and crack your new radiator.

Hack up a brand new be cool radiator lol

I'll take pictures of my chinabay radiator that drops right in and was 110 shipped

Why? It becool to modify a part to fit in the car instead of hacking the car apart. It still beacool radiator.

Back