• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 with t5 trans shift boot non ghetto solution ?

Jack

junkman
Stock 240 boot (uncut) on a t5 makes it very hard to get into 2/4/r

I cut mine 3 “rings” up from the bottom and installed a leather boot. Since the shift lever is skinny on t5s I’m getting hot air coming up through the opening. I tried mid 90s mustang boot but that it didn’t work for me.

Anyone got a better solution?

What shifter / shift lever are you using?

I have an ebay short shifter with a modified stock Mustang shift lever and am using a stock 240 shift boot and it does not interfere with shifting.

OlRBzkWl.jpg

Stock unmodified rubber boot on my T5 as well - with a Steeda Triax shifter. I have a leather Volvo boot cover over that.

To keep noise and heat down I got a cheap foam car washing sponge at WalMart and cut a hole in it, stuffed it down through the hole onto the top of the trans, then put the rubber boot on top of that. I used 4 small bolts to hold the rubber boot in plasce since mine used to have an auto shifter. No problems with it holding it out of either set of gears.

^^Similar to what JMc did - I cut a large enough piece of foam to completely cover the opening in the top of the tunnel - put a hole in it and slipped over the shifter and down into the tunnel. And then I cut a similar smaller piece that sits inside the Volvo rubber boot. Cuts way back on noise/heat. B&M quickerripper shifter that doesn't have as much offset as the stock Stang shifter handle -- boot doesn't interfere.

Those shifters are so damn low to the floor. I ended up lengthening my pro 5 shifter and using a combination of the rubber gator and some burlap with some sound proofing and insulating material. Then I reused the leather shift cover because this is a classy affair.

I could go into more detail about what I did, but there's probably a better and easier solution.

Same here, I used some sound deadening blanket stuff with a foil layer, and I put a few layers in there to block the noise & heat. Works very well.

For the boot, I cut it near the bottom, and I have the leather boot on that. Since the shift lever is skinny, I have a piece of heater hose just below the shift knob. The ID of the hose is a good fit for the lever, and the OD is a good fit for the collar of the leather boot. I have some velcro to keep the leather attached to the piece of hose. I have a Pro 5.0 shifter with a Steeda Tri-Ax handle, so that creates some height to make that all possible. Looking at the height on Mike Yount's picture, I don't think my setup would work there.

I have an integral leather boot and shift knob out of a Prelude, it keeps all the hot/cold outside air out. Not sure if the shifter threads are the same as Ford since I have a 300zx T5, they are some kind of metric fine thread maybe 10mm?

I cut a few of the accordion folds from the rubber boot and sewed in some canvas and heat reflective tape. I then put a leather cover over it. It worked ok.

Here's mine. Took me some experimentation to get it right.

It's a Hurst short throw shifter I bought used with the below Hurst handle that I cut a few inches off the bottom and re-drilled. Then used a Hurst grommet to make it fit perfectly in the stock Volvo boot. Works perfectly and position is absolutely perfect.

Dave B.

Attachments

• Hursrt8550med.jpg
    Hursrt8550med.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 144
  • hurstshiftergrommetmed.jpg
    hurstshiftergrommetmed.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 145
  • hurstshifter1med.jpg
    hurstshifter1med.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 144
I have the stock shifter and the stock boot on mine. No issues with shifting for me. Other than the usual mustang 3rd gear cock block.

I tried using the stock 240 boot, had the same engagement issues Jack mentioned. Went to a generic Mr. Gasket boot, notched the opening, and put a leather boot over the top. Also put some high density foam on the shift tower to cut down the air/noise a little. Less than idea, still haven't found a better solution. I'm running a Hurst billet tower and lever.

I'm curious why the Volvo boot works for some, not for others.

I think it’s due to the height of the trans in the tunnel and the style of shifter/ shift lever used. The height of the trans will affect how close the shift lever gets to the sheet metal cutout in a given gear and if a jogged shift lever is used it will cause the 240 shift boot to bunch up more than a straight one in 2/4/R. A short shifter will obviously lessen the shift lever movement and shift boot “bunching”.

Suspect has to do with the wide variety of combinations that occur depending 1) tranny mounting height relative to body and 2) shifter/handle used.

Hiperfauto - thx for link to file - may help someone else. I, on the other hand, not a clue....LOL.

I tried using the stock 240 boot, had the same engagement issues Jack mentioned. Went to a generic Mr. Gasket boot, notched the opening, and put a leather boot over the top. Also put some high density foam on the shift tower to cut down the air/noise a little. Less than idea, still haven't found a better solution. I'm running a Hurst billet tower and lever.

I had this problem after installing speaker wires under the carpet, the tranny (m45....) would pop out of 2 and 4.
Believe it or not, I spun the boot 180 degrees and the problem went away......
Is your boot backwards?

I had this problem after installing speaker wires under the carpet, the tranny (m45....) would pop out of 2 and 4.
Believe it or not, I spun the boot 180 degrees and the problem went away......
Is your boot backwards?

I thought about doing this but decided to post here first

I think Im going to work on an updated T5 installation article.

I thought about doing this but decided to post here first

I think Im going to work on an updated T5 installation article.
To be honest I never looked if it actually has a front and back, or it had just "settled in" that way. Rubber does get harder over time, It is possible that they take a "set" to where they are installed, and while they may have been able to flex either way equally when new, this is no longer the case.

Back