• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

Got inspired by a really nicely done E28 at cars and coffee this morning plus my wife was complaining about the "vintage" smell of Buttercups interior when we drove her up to The Meet in the Middle.

Seats out

Found these disgusting horse hair and tar mats

Found some surface rust

Found a vintage joint from the PO

Getting cleaned

Good thing you caught that rust before it got worse. Lots of good products to neutralize, convert, etc....

If you're looking to cut out noise and sounds, Lowe's and Home Depot sell an aluminum flashing material in rolls that's identical to Dynamat. I've done my Bug and current Amazon that way, it's cheap, easy to apply and will make a big difference with road noise.

If you're looking to cut out noise and sounds, Lowe's and Home Depot sell an aluminum flashing material in rolls that's identical to Dynamat. I've done my Bug and current Amazon that way, it's cheap, easy to apply and will make a big difference with road noise.

Can you post a link to the material that Lowe's / HD sell?
Thanks,
Steve

Good thing you caught that rust before it got worse. Lots of good products to neutralize, convert, etc....

Thanks for the heads up. I sanded the rust down, sprayed it with Gemplers rust converter and then primer.

The car smells awesome and the road noise is only slightly louder. Please do post a link if you can. It is too early to tell if I want to live with a slightly louder cabin or now

firm second recommendation for some kind of sound deadening -

I used this ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KNZ2S4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) in the truck ... not sure if its better then / worse then the HD stuff, but it was fairly affordable, and made a decent difference - both sound (road / engine) and heat - I used it on the door panels, and trans tunnel - no speakers yet, but it seems to be working so far ...

firm second recommendation for not smoking that thing send it back :) to the PO

for the scent, try leaving some (used) coffee grounds, in the car for a few days, they will absorb a lot -

I found your exhaust manifold too btw

firm second recommendation for some kind of sound deadening -

I used this ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008KNZ2S4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) in the truck ... not sure if its better then / worse then the HD stuff, but it was fairly affordable, and made a decent difference - both sound (road / engine) and heat - I used it on the door panels, and trans tunnel - no speakers yet, but it seems to be working so far ...

firm second recommendation for not smoking that thing send it back :) to the PO

for the scent, try leaving some (used) coffee grounds, in the car for a few days, they will absorb a lot -

I found your exhaust manifold too btw

Thanks for the link, I'll check that stuff out. Awesome news on the manifold too!

When I was doing all the front end work I noticed that the brake lines were in sorry shape

I was able to take the opportunity to upgrade to SS lines.

Just need to bleed them and I will offer a full report!

:) I posted before the last pic was up.

Looks good. You even got the routing correct. You'd be surprised how many times I see the hoses rubbing the sway bar because they weren't routed properly.

:) I posted before the last pic was up.

Looks good. You even got the routing correct. You'd be surprised how many times I see the hoses rubbing the sway bar because they weren't routed properly.

haha, I thought you were making a joke!

I even got them clamped into the hose organizer thing on the swaybar endlinks after I took that photo.

Dear God that's a lot of bleeding nipples. Getting the rear of the car up in the air was critical to success.

The brakes no longer squeak as I back out of the garage. The old lines and fluid were way worse than I thought

I have to get a set of those for mine too. It's sat for so long now and the brakes weren't doing very well before it came apart. Now I'll know where to look!

I usually run them the other way (air cleaner to breather cap / breather box to PCV fitting in manifold) because it looks neater but Volvo did it both ways.

Back