• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 87 wagon non-turbo barely goes until 3500rpm

Cedwards

My 87 wagon non turbo is starting up like normal, but recently it’s been going through a lot of water (1/2 gallon every couple days) and this morning on my way to school I stopped at a stop sign and as I started to go, it was barely putting a long until I got around 3500rpm and then it kinda smoothed out. It’s all stock and it has about 400,000 miles. It might be the transmission because it’s going out and will jolt into gear sometimes. I have no idea what’s wrong and I wanna fix it. Any help?
Update: could it be a piston not firing?

Last edited:
If it’s using coolant/water you need to do a compression test immediately. You most likely have a blown headgasket. This is assuming the water isn’t leaking on your driveway.

Also, my daughter's 240 did something similar once when the trans downshift cable slipped off the throttle spool. It would basically start out in 2nd gear (maybe 3rd) and just accelerate like it had 10 hp until about 30 mph or so.

But the engine sounded smooth while doing that. Is yous misfiring?

If it?s using coolant/water you need to do a compression test immediately. You most likely have a blown headgasket. This is assuming the water isn?t leaking on your driveway.

That?s probably what it is. I?ll start taking it apart this weekend and replace it. Thank you!

Also, my daughter's 240 did something similar once when the trans downshift cable slipped off the throttle spool. It would basically start out in 2nd gear (maybe 3rd) and just accelerate like it had 10 hp until about 30 mph or so.

But the engine sounded smooth while doing that. Is yous misfiring?

I tried to put it into 1st to see if the problem would go away and it didn?t. Same thing as when it was in drive.

That’s probably what it is. I’ll start taking it apart this weekend and replace it. Thank you!
Don’t tear into it until you diagnose your problem. A compression test only requires removal of all 4 sparkplugs and disabling the fuel/spark. Easy stuff that will tell you a lot about the condition of your engine.
I tried to put it into 1st to see if the problem would go away and it didn’t. Same thing as when it was in drive.
I don’t know much about automatics, but I think if it isn’t adjusted properly, putting the indicator in first may not actually put the trans in first. John will know better than me though.

I know very little. Her 244 is long gone, mine only had an auto for about 5 months.

I'm pretty sure putting it in '1' will force it into first, though.

I know very little. Her 244 is long gone, mine only had an auto for about 5 months.

I'm pretty sure putting it in '1' will force it into first, though.

Okay never mind I was thinking about the kick down cable. Like I said I know nothing about them.

OP you can probably rent a compression testing kit from your local auto parts store. Make sure to hold the throttle wide open, have all plugs out, and disable injection.

Performing a test that won't change your course of action is a waste.

OP, if car needs a new head gasket, what will you do? Within your skill level?

Not really. A compression test is always a good idea. I had a car that only leaked coolant through the radiator when the fan was engaged. I was like where tf is my coolant going?

OP, do a compression test for peace of mind. Even if we know it?s a blown HG, it will still give you an all around idea of the health of your engine.

Water pump?

We looked around for signal of a busted gasket. We started by taking out the spark plugs looking for water or oil, they were all dry. The oil isn’t milky at all. Then we got under and found a ton of water above the skid plate and some on the skid plate. I’m starting to think it’s a water pump leaking. We also drained the radiator and the water isn’t oily.

Last edited:
Not really. A compression test is always a good idea. I had a car that only leaked coolant through the radiator when the fan was engaged. I was like where tf is my coolant going?

OP, do a compression test for peace of mind. Even if we know it?s a blown HG, it will still give you an all around idea of the health of your engine.

Performing a test that won't change what you do is worthless.
Try thinking about it for a second, stop and THINK.

Pressure test the cooling system!

No man listen to Apache chef that’s worthless. Why test anything at all? Just rip the head off. While you’re at it replace your piston rings.

His logic is non existent. OP, pressure test the cooling system and that should show you right where the coolant is leaking. Unfortunately, the kits at the auto parts store don’t connect to our coolant reservoirs (mine didn’t), so you’ll probably have to push it up against hard to create a seal. Still works though.

Last edited:
No man listen to Apache chef that?s worthless. Why test anything at all? Just rip the head off. While you?re at it replace your piston rings.

His logic is non existent. OP, pressure test the cooling system and that should show you right where the coolant is leaking. Unfortunately, the kits at the auto parts store don?t connect to our coolant reservoirs (mine didn?t), so you?ll probably have to push it up against hard to create a seal. Still works though.

did ya refuse to read my post and think about it, or did you try to think and gave up because of the headache trying to think caused?

go back, read every word, think hard about them, go up the basement stairs, ask mommy to help with a dictionary for the big words, and try to figure it out.

This is you, implying that testing is a waste and that OP should just pull the head regardless.

We looked around for signal of a busted gasket. We started by taking out the spark plugs looking for water or oil, they were all dry. The oil isn?t milky at all. Then we got under and found a ton of water above the skid plate and some on the skid plate. I?m starting to think it?s a water pump leaking. We also drained the radiator and the water isn?t oily.
Wait, what?s that? It may not be a HG after all?
Performing a test that won't change what you do is worthless.
Try thinking about it for a second, stop and THINK.
But performing a test will change the course of action. Doing a compression/coolant pressurization test will in fact help narrow down OPs problem.
did ya refuse to read my post and think about it, or did you try to think and gave up because of the headache trying to think caused?

go back, read every word, think hard about them, go up the basement stairs, ask mommy to help with a dictionary for the big words, and try to figure it out.
Hm how about that. Maybe it you who needs to close his mouth and read more often. I don?t care how much wisdom you think you have or how long you?ve been around. Stop giving poor advice when you don?t know what you?re talking about.

This is you, implying that testing is a waste and that OP should just pull the head regardless.
don't try to infer anything, beyond your capabilities
i didn't imply anything, i warned about choosing tests carefully.
if you think your test does change the plan, why would you think my post is about you?
OP should just pull the head regardless.
never implied that, don't infer.
reread.

and dont be paranoid if my post follows yours it has to be in response to YOU.
you aren't everyone's focus here, boy.
don't worry , ill quote your stupidly directly if i need to.

Wait, what’s that? It may not be a HG after all?

But performing a test will change the course of action. Doing a compression/coolant pressurization test will in fact help narrow down OPs problem.
no ****.
note well, i SAID IF it won't change.
dont infer.
dont fail to interpret, and act like you are arguing against what i didn't say.
i can't even try to figure out your tortured logic without getting a migraine.

Hm how about that. Maybe it you who needs to close his mouth and read more often. I don’t care how much wisdom you think you have or how long you’ve been around. Stop giving poor advice when you don’t know what you’re talking about.

seriously, i cant tell if you are really stupid, or a really talented troll. first prize either way.
do whatever you want, just stop trolling by pretending to not understand.
general aphoric wisdom above
question below

so what do have such disagreement with, general wisdom?
or have figured out how to disagree with the question below?
for f's sake, stop and think.

Last edited:
LOL you were obviously referring to what I said because you like to stir the **** pot. Just stop commenting if you aren’t going to help OP. I offered him legitimate advice, something you never do.

Lower case rants are classy!

Degrease engine, pressure test, find leak. Post back. Those cardboard down and douche it with simple green.

Back