• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1987 740 Turbo - Intermittent hiccup??

Han-Tyumi

Today my car started getting super boggy out of nowhere. I did the distributor seal, cap and rotor, plugs and wires on Sunday. It has been running better than ever til this morning. I got to work and I wasn't scheduled to be there for 3 more hours so I headed back home and suddenly it started hiccuping. It would bog out for one second, backfire, almost die etc. I looked at all my wire leads and both ends of the wire from the coil were almost popped off, so I pushed them back on and it ran a lot better. Now during idle it occasionally stops firing for like half a second. Under acceleration it will sometimes do the same thing but in a faster sequence. It's only sometimes

wat do

How's the wiring harness? Also, sometimes the wiring at the ignition coil can get toasty on the 1985-87 turbo cars, which can cause weird issues like this...

-J

The car has 85k miles.. However, I went big turbo and 2.5" exhaust. It does get pretty toasty. 3 of the zip clips on the firewall that hold the harness up are broken and its causing it to sit on the distributor cap

Mileage usually is notwithstanding when it comes to the wiring harness. I'd still make sure that it's intact and, ideally, replaced with a newer loom.

-J

Mileage usually is notwithstanding when it comes to the wiring harness. I'd still make sure that it's intact and, ideally, replaced with a newer loom.

-J

It's all good. No cracks or weak spots. Connections all good. In fact, when I got it from Japan it had dielectric grease on lots of the connections

Back