• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Clutch Chatter and Slipping.

xactorocker

Hey, this is on an 85 245 m46. And I wanted to see if yall had any ideas about what's going on with my clutch. the symptoms include when I step on it in 3rd gear or over sometimes the trans starts to slip and vibrates like you are going over those reminder bumps on the side of the road. Second, when starting in 1st gear the car stutters and this is what I would guess is clutch chatter. I did replace the clutch cable because I thought it was stretching because the fork is supposed to move 1-4 mm and was more so I would have to tighten it every few days.
I replaced it and it seems to be doing the same thing. the clutch in the car is only a few months old and the same with the throwout bearing. and ideas would be amazing, thank you been chasing this thing for months.

Was the rear main seal on the engine replaced? Was it a quality part like the oem volvo seal? Oil on the clutch can make it chatter and slip. A new clutch is ruined in only a short time if there is oil getting on it.

If that is not the problem. The other thought is that you have the clutch adjusted too tight. The 1-4mm you describe is the free play of the cltuch release bearing arm. The arm moves a great distance when actuating the clutch. In order for the clutch too function properly there should be 1-4 mm of free play at the arm when the clutch pedal isn't being depressed.

hey thanks for the response I did not change the main seal when I changed the clutch. thanks for the tip I was measuring the movement the fork had when the clutch was not being pressed so laying under the car pulling on it. was this the correct way or no thanks. and I am probably going to take the trans out again to check for oil on the disk.

Yes that sounds like you are measuring it properly. Other parts that can cause chatter are bad engine and trans mounts. That can also be added to if the rear torque arm and big trailing arm bushing are bad making the rear axle rotate. Check all this stuff.

I would visually check for leaks. You can also add dye to the oil and see if any leaks from the bell housing. That dye sure is useful. I would want to be sure before I remove the trans again.

hey thank yall for the help I took the trans out today. it had a good but of grease in it. I'm going to clean it out replace the oil soaked clutch and replace the input shaft seal and try and see if that fixes it. thank you all for the help. I went ahead and pulled it because I'm at my uncle's shop and have access to a lift. thanks for the dye tip I will use it if I ever need to do this again.

Back