• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SeanHodgins 1981 242 GLT

Hodginsa

youtube.com/seanhodgins
Hodginsa's: Project Athena

Hey all, for those who don't know, I used to be Crazy0000 and I had a 91 black 240 that I turbocharged years ago, then megasquirted, and DD'd for a few years. Theres a project thread about it here...

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=134164

Day 1 Update!
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Rc4HKv7oT3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had to get rid of her last year for some not great reasons, and she wasn't running either. I have had plenty of cars but I can't escape the 240! I'm getting another one! As you can see from the use of the word "getting" I have not found a suitable body to buy yet. I'm holding out for something rust free, cheap, and before 1987(no etest in ontario before then). I still have a reason for this place holder thread though. Today I picked up a B230FT Squirter engine from a volvo shop in my area for $300. I have begun tearing into it and I am thinking of all the stuff I want to do to it. I need to keep reminding myself to not rush and take my time(its hard for me to just go slow at something). Still have some decisions to make though.Money is still an issue but I don't want to blow my motor and I want to make a lot of power. I'm talking "street legal", but definitely not "street legal".

Heres the motor I got today (Oct 25th 2012):

B230-1.jpg

B230-2.jpg

B230-3.jpg

B230-4.jpg

B230-5.jpg

Ohh these are cool, haven't had a [volvo] engine with these before.
B230-6.jpg

So.. Should I get new pistons and rods? or stick it out with the stockers for awhile. Initial goal is 300hp, but I think I will quickly want to up that. The problem being is it should be faster than my friends MkIII supra.

Oh yeah, current deadline for the car is May 2013.. For two reasons, one being a joke. You decide which one.
1) Fast and Furious 6 comes out, need it before then.
2) Carlisle Auto show. I want to go this year, I want to see everyone again.

Input is needed!

Also car will be running on MS3.

Last edited:
If you know you're going to want more than 300 than change the rods. at least thats what I would do based on the info I've seen on this forum. thats if you dont mind being at 300 for a while then taking the motor out of the car to change the rods and w/e else you're going to update

I figure as much, but the stock B230 pistons with H-beams good enough? Where do the limitations of the stock piston come into play?

I'm not over thinking it, but its going to be a street car with hopefully a lot of power, and I'm not a fan of No2. Headwork is a must. Tuning is not an issue. The thinking comes from not wanting to just cobble it together, since most of the time I'm working on my DD, but I have a DD truck now, so I can actually take the time to do things right and well. My Megasquirted 240 was really fun, but it was always nerve racking trying to do things then wondering if ill have a car for a week if it doesn't work.

stock pistons have done over 500whp

rods are good for over 300 with tuning, but if you're gonna replace something that's what it should be

Haha, friends garage and it says "Naked girls only" but I was waiting for someone to notice, kudos to you. Its only day two of my project, no rating it yet!

I have the engine torn down completely now, going to take it to a shop for a refresh. One thing I noticed is there is a bit of a ridge in the cylinders but about 1cm below the ridge all the cross hatching is still intact. Any thoughts? Will I need to get it bored out and get bigger pistons? I was hoping to use the stock pistons, as they look in really good shape.

Crosshatch.JPG

If I were you I would go with bigger injectors and LS1 coils! ;-):-P

And what's this Carlisle thing? That would make a nice season opener in May!

Turbo engines seem to do that. I'd be tempted to just run it

Well its going to the shop to get a hot tank and refresh, the engine has <200k KM so its young, I'm just wondering if/when the guy at the shop says it needs to be honed or whatever, will I need larger pistons? Whats the best way to clean pistons? and does anyone want straight 13mm rods?

If I were you I would go with bigger injectors and LS1 coils! ;-):-P

And what's this Carlisle thing? That would make a nice season opener in May!

I may take you up on those :-P:lol:

Carlisle is an Import show in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. I went a few years ago and it was a blast, always a great turn out of Volvo/TB people and there is kind of a little competition each year to see if more Volvos or more Saabs show up(still happen?). Also there is auto-crossing. Its a weekend so you just camp out.

Carlisle is badass, I've gone the past 2 years, my wife for the past 3. I'm trying desperately to try and get more ontarians going, but we like to drive down to my Mother-in-law's a day early, near philly, and hang out/convoy with the philly crew, and the ottawans, while more than welcome, don't feel like doing that. :lol:

Looks like alot of TBrickers do Carlisle one year and IPD the next. Carlisle is like a 9 hours drives from here so I'd be more tempted to go there.

I'll start trying to sell the idea to the GF right away!!:nod:

School has been beating me down, haven't taken the engine to the shop yet.

But this is what was in that box.

InjectorsCoils-2.jpg

Some 61lb injectors.

InjectorsCoils-3.jpg

LS1 Coils.

Yeah!!! :-) Might have a Walbro 255 for sale soon also. I just got my Aeromotive A1000 monster pump and will take the Walbro out...

Its a low KM squirter though, any N/A blocks that I will find will be super high Km for sure.

Looks like alot of TBrickers do Carlisle one year and IPD the next. Carlisle is like a 9 hours drives from here so I'd be more tempted to go there.

I'll start trying to sell the idea to the GF right away!!:nod:

I'm far too east coast to do iPd... pretty sure it's in Oregon or Washington or something.

Well ****, machine shop said recommends a 0.04" overbore! on a <200k km Motor.. So I told them I can't get pistons that big and its not recommended to overbore more than 0.6mm. I guess I am just going to run it. I don't want to find another block and install squirters. Pain in the ass.

Don't know what to do.

Back