• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My Red 1993 245

Got sizetracked with cleaning under the hood for 4.5 hours and it still need more. Might even polish the intake manifold since I need a plug for head. The original head had a boss that was not drill and tapped. The head on it is drilled and tapped. It can barely be seen on the side picture of engine. Anybody know what it for? Progress today not much.

I like the silver valve cover. Is that powder coat?

Thanks but wait until I post the next picture. I was having a senior moment and it rained all day. It is powder coated. I had two (one red and one silver)done about 5 year ago and they still look the same. Also got a Swedish blue that cam on that hight dollar head.

Note to self - don't buy aftermarket cam backing plate again. Does not fit well and not marked for timing. Had to time it then mark the housing.
Note to self - do not work tired. Mistake, forgot the shim behind the cam. Got to take it back down to install the shim behind the cam gear. Should be running but fix wires doing stuff that is hard to access with the intake in place. cleaning my clean kill way to much time and still a bunch more needs to be cleaned.

Last edited:
Nice work. I still have to do my headgasket.

I could not get motivated while the temp was in the 40-50 deg. Still have do do a head gasket on that 242. One head bolt was easy to get loose and it had ran hot so 35.00 for victor head bold was a no brainier for me.

That must have been an all day thing.

No only about 3 hours. My hands have gotten weak. I have 3 die grinder all electric first on was a sears craftsman that I ran so hard I burnt the motor in a 3 - weeks and i purchased the extended protection after the fact and they replaced it. I stepped to the big milwaukee then a smaller milwaukee. on the volvo intake most was done with the sears and the smaller milwaukee while seated on a low brake seat and the manifold on a plastic milk crate. Best way for me was gripping the grinder where the second hand normally go. I had not polished a intake in years and never a small on like this one. the left hand was holding the intake.

Catching hell with a NA Exaust manifold in the dark. LOL . I'm serious. Got this thing all painted and ready to go back on and it don't fit. Duck me running!!! And after spending $30.00 on paint and primer. I remember the owner telling me he got it hot. Now I'm thinking dam, how hot did it get to warp a exhaust manifold. Flange seem to be straight but will not go over the stud in the the back. I changed heads because the was a bold in place of the last stud and it was cocked ar a angle. I see why now. Going to take a better look in good light and break out the die grinder. Slapped a plus 90 and a header on the with no issue. Stuff like this kills major time. Wanted to drive it to GA this weekend- not happening. Maybe I can fix the manifold and don't have time to pull one. Guess I could add time and a turbo!

Teaser

what kind of exhaust header is that?

lookin good, I too know what you mean by moving way to slow!

Thanks. I hate fixing suff behind a substandard mechanic but a buddy pointed out that machanic cause the deal for me. That header is one of those $149.00 eBay header. Flange needs flipping and a mod on the front tube. It's too close to the alternator and radiator hose. I have always run headers on my daily driver Chevy. So why should Volvo be different. Got two of these. Got to talk with my master fab guy and see if he will take care of it for me.

Not any progress over the weekend . Went to the yard and pulled a small 100 amp alternator and another NA exhaust manifold. Will check the alternator and put on Monday. Same problem with the JG manifold just not as bad. Going to grind on the painted one until it goes on or until I ruin it. Also pulled the correct Late model NA injectors and order some AN fitting and adjustable Regulator. Need to figure some thing out...

Anybody need on of those stainless headers pm me. Only using one. Got a couple of 3" down pipes already and will need to extent one for a top mounted Power adder..

Back