• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Ryan's $350 Wagon Resto-Mod!

PopTheClutchPillay

Ryan's $350 Wagon Resto-Mod! LOTS OF PICS!

Hello all fellow TB'ers!

Yup thats my 850 5 Speed :p

Previous owner said he parked it because it was hard to engage gears. He never got around to try fixing it, and it ended up sitting there for 11 years. He also mentioned that several times him and his son tried to get it running and it would only run on starter fluid. So $350 later, she was home!

Heres home for a few weeks in my aunts carport while I get her running then bring her home!

I had a spare battery lying around so I put that in, sprayed some starter fluid into the intake and sure enough she fired right up! I figured that since she would fire up on starter fluid, I assumed that spark, compression, and timing were all fine and so I narrowed it down to a fuel delivery issue. I bought a new fuel pump relay and tried that, but unfortunately that didn't do it so I then moved onto the fuel pumps. I had my dad turn the key and I listened in the tank and under the car for priming sounds and nothing, so I tested voltage at the main pump outside the tank and it was getting power, just not working. So I went ahead and replaced that pump with a bosch pump and sure enough she ran!! I changed all fluids, etc. The next day I threw a permit on her and headed to aircare (Smog/Emissions) Here in Vancouver BC, you can not buy insurance unless you have passes the emissions tests (Aircare).

Here she is the day she had a permit and ready for aircare!

Here she is at aircare while I nervously waited the results :omg:

Unfortunately she failed due to higher Nox readings. It was about 300ppm over the limit. I tried a few things including chinese water torture, and she still failed another 2 times. Being summer I really didn't want to fool around with aircare I just wanted to cruise her! So I planned on buying the maximum 3 months allowable insurance so that summer could be enjoyed :cool:

A few days later I cleaned her up really well. I washed it in the pouring rain, it was a labour of love :)

All cleaned up! :cool:

Just like the owner had stated, absolutely no rust. All body panels were clean and straight. I was amazed and fell deeper in love with her :-P

Well just like the previous owner had said, it was really hard to engage the gears. The clutch literally engaged at the floor. Had a few friends drive the car and said it was either a bad clutch plate, or bad pressure plate so I embarked on a 2 week journey of replacing the whole clutch assembly. I got really lucky on this one. I had a lot of great friends that lent me the required tools. I had told a few people about what I was getting into and they were pretty amped to see it when it was done! One day I got a text message from a good friend of mine saying " Dude I think I have a clutch kit for your car ". Low and behold he did! He had purchased the wrong clutch kit for his car, but it was the right kit for my car! I know my friend had been looking for a flathood for a while, and I found one at a junkyard that just recently got a '76 242 in the lot. i told him about it, but due to his hours he couldn't get to the yard so I offered to grab it for him. I grabbed the hood, and traded him the hood for his clutch kit, win win.

I don't have many pictures of the clutch job as I wanted to get it done fairly quickly. Here's a pic of me holding the M46

2 weeks later the clutch job was done! The day she had gotten done, I immediately got plates for her and drove her home!

Everybody at the gas station had a puzzled look on their faces as I walked around and continued to snap pictures of the wagon. Maybe it was because of the huge smile that was on my face. The M46 was shifting smooth as butter, and the clutch engaged in the middle right where I like it :cool:

The day after I put plates on it my dad decided to take it to work. At 11:00 in the morning I get a phone call, "Hey I dont know what happened but the wagon stalled". I got dressed and went to where he was, and it turned out to be a bad alternator. I took the alternator to a shop to get rebuilt while I waited a couple hours with the car on the side awaiting the shop to drop the alternator off. I figured this was a good time to put some decals on :p

I am so blown away with how far shes come.

I have only one complaint about her. She is SLOW. Very slow. Being a non turbo b230f in a heavy 740 wagon, it is slow. But not a problem, a +T or b230ft swap is in the very near future!

Here's a couple more pictures

Last edited:
IMG_3640_zps30a54290.jpg

That ain't no 4-Point Tie-Down! :omg:

Hahaha don't even get me started on that tow truck driver..... Sadly both have gone to scrap, just spoke with him yesterday. They were rough. There was one bertone and one 262c, both gone now.

Glad you got it up and running. Congrats on the successes of your hard work!

On second thought....I see you got bored again...I think you have car ADD (and you are good at making money off your flips)

Rare 1987 Volvo 740 M46 Manual Wagon! NO RUST! BRAND NEW CLUTCH! - $2800 (Vancouver)

I have a Rare Volvo 745 Wagon for sale. Its got an M46 manual transmission with a brand new clutch with less than 100km's on it. There is absolutely NO rust on this car 100% clean. Engine and transmission are smooth as anything. I have receipts for $1300+ worth of work done within the past month. This car is really a gem. Has the rare original matching dashmat, has OEM Volvo mudflaps which are rare to find on the 700 Series Volvos. This car was originally an american car imported to canada in the late 90's. This means it has 2 OEM Bosch fog lights that work amazingly well, and a few other goodies.

Recent Work done Includes:
-New Clutch Less than 100kms old
-Brand New Main Fuel Pump
-Brand New In-Tank Fuel Pump
-Coolant and Transmission Flush
-Upgraded Volvo Hydra Mags with winter tires
-New Fuel Pump Relay
-New JVC Stereo
And a few others I'm forgetting but have them in my invoices.

It's getting hard to find 740's with manual transmission, let alone one that is completely rust free! It's got power windows, power door locks, power mirrors, heated mirrors, power sunroof, full leather interior with working heated seats, etc.

condition: excellent

Last edited:
Yeupp that was me. I was looking at S60's all night yesterday and kinda spur of the moment posted mine and planned to buy an s60. I've now come back to my senses and deleted the ad lol. The 745 is here to stay :cool:

Plans now include: Eggcrate grill, Bilstein HD's, IPD Lowering Springs, Eggcrate Grill, Two-Tone the Hydras possibly, repaint all bumpers and trim, and I'd love to put a woodgrain Nardi wheel in. Performance mods right now are in the air. I'm not sure as to whether I want to just put a performance cam and leave it N/A, +T it, or swap a b230ft....

The main advantage of a +T is the higher compression. For a reliable boosted DD, a +T on a low mileage squirter block is the best option.

The main advantage of a +T is the higher compression. For a reliable boosted DD, a +T on a low mileage squirter block is the best option.

Put a Turbo on it trust me. It's worth it you will love this car even more.

I am seriously considering a +T. It's gonna be a DD, and I know I'm not going to make any crazy power (Right away :p). This engine has 230,000miles (Approx. 370,000kms), and I've yet to figure out whether it is healthy enough for a +T or not.

Back