• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW70 changes gears w/o pushing shift button

vwblue1967

1992 244 AW70

Everything that come up with a search is related to a car not shifting out of park. My situation is the car will shift out of park regardless is the key is in, brake pushed or shift button pressed. You can just slide it in and out of any gear anytime. The car starts and runs fine and all gears work but this seems pretty sketchy and likely dangerous.

Has anyone had this happen before? This is a new to me car that I purchased non-running so I cant really say when it started or what caused it.

Im not very familiar with the shift lock system but looking for somewhere to start. If the shift lock was bypassed would the gear shift move like this? any ideas would be appreciated.

Shift lock has probably been deleted, and the button might have some gunk under it that is causing it to stick, unless the button operates normally, in which case, whatever causes it to lock is not locking.

The button feels like it should.

To anyone who has disabled the shiftlock, is this how yours operates? I was thinking doing that would still require the button being pressed but that you would be able to move through the rears without the key being in. Right now, I can select any gear by just moving the shifter. I guess its cool not worrying about the shift lock function to fail (if its been bypassed) but not really a fan of it being so easy to move to different gears at anytime.

There's a plastic gear selector gate down in the shifter bucket that's been know to break or come loose (#7 in the exploded view). Pull the cover and check it out.

GR-54853.jpg

I think every Volvo I have owned has had this part broken. I just assumed we didn't have the technology.

Sometimes I'm surprised by the parts they still make for these cars. I assumed that was going to be coming form a parts car. Thanks for the link!

I've never taken an (auto) shifter out before. The Bently doesn't go into much detail on this, but from looking at the diagram, would I just need to remove bolt #17 and nut #35?

Back