• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Duder's Beige Brick - ARUNDL - 1981 242 DL +B230FT

Hallo Clemens, Danke f?r die Komplimente. Im August Ich in der Mitte von Deutschland war vor zwei Wochen. Das Autobahn und der Nordschleife sind sehr sch?n. Alles andere zu.

I am not so sure of the original color for the sunroof parts, but the epoxy paint I used was just the closest match that I could find easily. I think originally they were not as bright white as the newly painted part (in front). Perhaps some yellowing over the years however. Good luck with your restoration; sorry I could not provide better answers on this. This 242 is not maintaining maximum originality :-P

Mit freundlichen Gr??en
Chris

There's no excuse for a slacker like me, but lots of travel and prepping yet another Lemons car has gotten in the way of progress on the 242. Disappointing, I know. On the brighter side my cat has been leaving nice sliding paw print trails on the dusty windshield.

Stiggy, here's a terrible backlit iphone pic of the Recaro driver's seat being test fit. These are going to be sweet, but are a much darker brown than the stock interior. So now it'll have to be 2-tone. And don't mind the awful black spraypainted door cards which will also be redone.

PpHZ3csl.jpg

I'll take some proper photos soon.

Last edited:
Stiggy, here's a terrible backlit iphone pic of the Recaro driver's seat being test fit. These are going to be sweet, but are a much darker brown than the stock interior. So now it'll have to be 2-tone. And don't mind the awful black spraypainted door cards which will also be redone.

PpHZ3csh.jpg

I'll take some proper photos soon.

I should have kept those and found another 240 to put them in.

Looks sweet.:-D

Had a little bit of time last night to do a proper mock-up of the Recaros. I still need to decide exactly where I want them to sit before I make my adapters to the stock 240 sliders. Currently the fore/aft pull-up bar on the sliders hits the bottom of the seats, so the seats need to move back on the sliders. Overall I'm happy with how they are going to fit. The seat bottom surface will be at approximately the same height as the 240 stock seats if I use 1.5" spacer tubes between the seats and sliders. One of the great features of the 240 is visibility IMHO, so I don't want to compromise that by sinking the seats down much further than stock, if at all.

iolSnSrh.jpg

These Recaro LS seats weigh exactly the same (within my measurement error) as the stock 240 seats. I unbolted the sliders and couldn't observe any difference with my home scale. Somewhere between 32 to 35 lbs each.

They are supremely comfortable. My wife tested them out and wants them in all cars now. And as a desk chair. And as a dining room chair. Etc, etc.

Took a few better pics with the DSLR this morning. I have some work to do on the door cards obviously. The Recaros are a completely different color of brown - stock seats are much lighter and have more of an orange/red tint to them. I'll need to get the rear seat redone to match somehow, and thinking of resolving the color differences between the seats and dash via the door cards. Maybe a nice brown/orange/beige plaid or oriental rug to tie the room together.

yYhzxF2h.jpg

pstCyLQh.jpg

2aNqzSAh.jpg

Last edited:
Those seats are so great in there. Very cool.

FWIW, I have my Recaro LS-B mounted very low and visibility is still excellent (but I supposed that depends on how tall you are).

I have a 2" tube between the stock sliders and Recaro seat, but I am really short too.

Did I give you the dimensions to make the adapter tube? If not I probably still have that somewhere.

Those seats are so great in there. Very cool.

FWIW, I have my Recaro LS-B mounted very low and visibility is still excellent (but I supposed that depends on how tall you are).

Thanks! Don't know how I missed your project thread until now. Great work on your 242. Do you have any pictures of the LS-B mounted? Did you use the stock 240 sliders? I'm about 6'0" but prefer sitting higher up in a 240.

I have a 2" tube between the stock sliders and Recaro seat, but I am really short too.

Did I give you the dimensions to make the adapter tube? If not I probably still have that somewhere.

I think 1.5" will work out well for me. Yep - you did send me those dimensions for the adapters; thanks again. Just working out where I want to place the seat longitudinally on the rails now.

I forgot to ever mention that this beige/brown 242 was verified previously owned by a community college liberal arts professor.

Totally relevant to everything going on here.

Great looking build!

How are you finding the sunroof after the rebuild?
Ive tried to avoid older sunroof cars due to hideous leaks in the past (Nissan 300zx Targa top nightmare that acted as a funnel)
Great work on the rust repair too!

Thanks! The sunroof is better after being rebuilt, but still leaks a bit. Under braking, I get a drip of water on my left shoulder as I'm coming to a stop. I think the driver's side rear drain must be partially blocked allowing water to pool back there.

That being said, there are no leaks if the car's sitting still, even in a real downpour (as opposed to the occasional Southern California drizzle).

SEM Bluebird Brown for your door cards might work well for matching the seat color. I am about to paint my cards and interior w/ Bluebird Brown and Cordovan Brown, goal is to make it look similar to your car.

Here's a pic of someone refinishing something with Bluebird.

BootCoverBluebirdBrownintheshade_zps7e48d17f.jpg

SEM Bluebird Brown for your door cards might work well for matching the seat color. I am about to paint my cards and interior w/ Bluebird Brown and Cordovan Brown, goal is to make it look similar to your car.

Muchas gracias. I'm guessing the color is called Bluebird Brown because of the eponymous school bus manufacturer that used such a color for all of their sumptuous vinyl bench seats, no?

I'll check it out!

You're welcome. It's alive for now, but I do have the grille that matches the TV screen lights, which requires a flathood. If I run that grille on this car it will be with a hood painted beige to match.

Back