• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '91 744 B204GT project

Nice and thorough work.
Thanks, trying my best to make sure I am doing it once and for good :)

The water/oil pipes going to the oil filter were rusty so the rust penetrator has been applied and two layers of hammerite over it...

OeN3g1rh.jpg

ZbLuWWWh.jpg

More of the "in the meantime" work...pressure washed the engine bay today :)

before...
T1SNmr4h.jpg

after...
roSacSNh.jpg

It's not perfect as I had cold water source only, but thousand times better than before so I am happy :cool: the rest I'll clean up with some degreaser

Looking good!

For all that grease, grime and crud in the engine bay, nothing works better than WD-40! Spray ALL THE THINGS and wipe clean with a cloth :cool:

Diesel also works very well.

You say you have new pistons ordered; is the block already bored?
Looking forward to seeing your results.

Last edited:
Thanks for the hint with the WD40! I have tried the white spirit as I had full bottle of it laying around and that works really well too ;-)
So after some jumping around with piece of cloth soaked with the spirit, fixing all the small rust spots and repainting the frame rails & battery/airbox tray with paint and undercarriage/crossmember with the 3M undercoating, this is how it stands now.

9R1LHeYh.jpg

You wanna apply that pink sealant with a roller. I don't think applying a bead is the correct method.

Looks good!

You wanna apply that pink sealant with a roller. I don't think applying a bead is the correct method.
Yep, well the front of the engine block has some pits and scoring so I was afraid if it will seal properly if the layer is too thin. The amount of the excessive sealant pushed out was negligible, so it will hopefully work ;-)

On the head halves I'll do it with a roller, as the surface is nice and flat.
It is just a sealant that hardens when placed in between two metals, what might be the issue if it's used on the front oil distribution plate? What is the proper sealant then, when it got disassembled it looked like some thin sealant similar to the pink one.

Last edited:
Well I definitely don't want to do something incorrectly especially in these early stages of the engine assembly...if I do, I would have to take the engine out again. So I appreciate all these hints what I could do better ;-)
But yeah, last time I sealed the head halves without the roller and it was running just fine, with no leaks etc. And on disassembly I saw that the sealant was spread evenly across the surfaces of the oil passages with minimum overhead, so I believe it would have been just fine as well ;-)

Back