• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

performance cam profiles

n xntrx volvo

background: found out yest why my 16vt wont run. my valve seats are too high, causing my intake valves to stay open. the lifters in these are hyd, and i've exceded the min clearence. so after pondering pulling everything off, buying gaskets. and getting atleast the valves stems trimmed, if not new seats. i've decided to just get the cams ground by reducing the base circle. before any of you ask about the springs, my installed heigth is still within spec (volvo green book), along with the seat widths etc.

so looking for 16v cam profiles.

engine is a 2.5L (b230 based), b234f head, 8.7 cr, stock valves, a t3/t4 hybrid, stand-alone fi, equal length header, 3" dp and exhaust, adj cam gears (-6, +6), edis etc.

any links, info, tips, etc, would be appreciated.
-Aaron
ps shop to do is here, unless anyone knows someone in socal

here are the stock and penta cam specs for reference
Camshafts

Axial clearance = 0.002 - 0.0157"
Marking, lift height (marked at rear)
U
U1
268 degrees advertised duration; 19/69/64/24 = exhaust closes 19 ATDC; exhaust opens 69 BBDC; Intake closes 64 ABDC; intake opens 24 BTDC.
Volvo cam upgrade, Aq171 pz cams, the lobes on the PZ cams are 0.7mm taller from base to peak then the stock cams and about 0.5mm wider across

unless i hear otherwise with a better profile, i'll just convert to pz spec.

for those un-familiar with camshaft grinding

looking at these too
Advertised duration 268 degrees, duration at 0.050", cam lift 228 degrees. Lift 0.438"
Cam lift at TDC 0.070" Intake centerline 109degrees ATDC. Lobe separation angle 112degrees

Last edited:
whipped this up on dyno.

16Vdyno.jpg

guess i'll just go with Advertised duration 268 degrees, duration at 0.050", cam lift 228 degrees. Lift 0.438" Cam lift at TDC 0.070" Intake centerline 109degrees ATDC. Lobe separation angle 112degrees.
woul be nice f someone else knew something.

have you got std cams in there , or are you using the penta ones ?

ive been advised that the std cams will be sufficient for this project? what have you got for pistons ?

volvorsport said:
have you got std cams in there , or are you using the penta ones ?

ive been advised that the std cams will be sufficient for this project? what have you got for pistons ?
i've got the standard b234 "u" cams in there. pistons are notched with an extra 2 mm clearence over the standard eng.

just got off the phone with the shop, interesting specs on stock "u" cams
236 deg durration at .050"
.370" lift
we're thinking of going to
250 deg durration at .050"
.382" lift
unless i hear otherwise, thats what it'll be.

wMTAyMjM5MjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTAyMjM5MzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

spec are above if you cant read the pic.
$75 each
any dohc volvo would be the same price.
company is the one above
or
American custom cam
(626) 938-0073
americancustomcam.com
ask for joe
tell them Aaron sent you and recieve nothing
btw, they do ups/ fedex, so any of you unhelpfull yanks can use them.
-Aaron

glad to hear you got it done, hope it does the trick

and i'm still not following why you had the problem. is this something that's going to come up whenever people put a b234 head on a b230?

thanks for the info

well hell. now i want to do that. 150$? thats a frickin deal. Now hell the hell do I figure out what kinda numbers to run?

Well, with the problems I'm having right now I'm resurrecting this thread. see my other post today.

Did this actually solve the problem? Did you measure the distance from the cam base circle to the valve stem and have the new grind take this into account somehow? I'm curious how much "preload" you put into the lifter when on the backside of the cam. This is great information considering my current similar situation.

I don't know what my machinist was thinking. Maybe he thougt there was enough adjustment in the lifters. Or he didn't know they were hydraulic. I don't know. But I'm hoping to turn this sucky situation into something good with a re-grind.

Back