• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

duel carbs on a 16v

Status
Not open for further replies.

240Psycho

still trying
What Carburators could i use with the penta AQ 171 manifold?

I would like to use two webers, but i wouldnt know where to start looking or even what to look for.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=24675

image.php

why would you wanna use carbs on a 16v for which they already have a very good stock fuel injection system? carbs will either run good at low rpm or at high rpm...not both. on an 8v its not so bad but on a 16v you'll end up with an engine that has an even narrower powerband and runs like a dog at low rpm. you also get the downside of having to change/adjust jetting if you live in an area where the temperature difference between summer and winter is big.

even if you only wanna use the engine for race purposes i'd still stick with fuel injection, there's no way the carbs can make the same power as for example individual throttle bodies with a good mapped ecu

Stock Volvo penta 2.5 L 16 valve, thinking of making a cheap rally car

Or a 'rally-cross" car?
If you are just looking to play around some, get a fuel infection manifold.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with carbs despite what Nils---who has OBVIOUSLY never THOUGHT about what sits on millions of very high performance, very tractable Japanese street bikes and moto-cross bikes which idle, pull cleanly and rev to the sky---s? kom inte h?r Nils o snacka en massa larv som ?r tydligen nonsens-------EXCEPT finding decent ones for decent money.

To have some fun in a normal aspirated 16 calls for the same thing as an 8v: compression and a performance cam, not some other emissions cam, a genuine performance cam.

THEN when there's a different demand, you need to feed it different air and fuel and spark.

But don't fret with dual carbs---worry about a real cam and compression.

Then think about gearing----4.6 axle ratio maybe

Suspension?

And of course think about which model 240 you will use, you wouldn't want to start with an obvious handicap of the 740 would you???

'Cheap' would be going to a junkyard and grabbing the LH 2.4 harness, manifold and sensors from a 16v car and then chip the 16v ecu.

I think the cost/effort to find intake manifolds that mate carbs with the AQ171 would be more costly.

What Carburators could i use with the penta AQ 171 manifold?

I would like to use two webers, but i wouldnt know where to start looking or even what to look for.

the junkyards?

I've been lucky and found weber downdraft carbs at the pick-n-pull on old Toyotas...

why not use the carbs that came with motor?

that would at least get you started and would be the cheapest...

personally I'd opt for a Volvo FI since finding and adapting true sidedraft carbs are going to be costly...used they sell in the $500 to $700 range and up.

first thing, how about cutting the swedish crap so everyone can read what you write...

Can't you? That's who it was addressed to.
Besides, it's a really simplistic language and there are a surprising number of people here that can read some Swedish and LIKE to try to read more.
Give you a hint noob: relax.
and second: comparing a bike engine and a car engine is something that cant be done...stick a 1.3 bike engine in a car that had a 1.3 engine and you?ll see what i mean. ever heared of torque?

Can't be done? No you talking a logical absurdity. Of course they can be compared.
A steaming pile of horse sh** and a Redblock CAN be compared although I don't know why one would.

You're getting all excited and talking like an arrogant a*****e just because of a really inarguably stupid statement you made which was--->
Nils why would you wanna use carbs on a 16v for which they already have a very good stock fuel injection system? carbs will either run good at low rpm or at high rpm...not both.

You didn't READ that where the poor boy wrote he has a AQ twin carb manifold (AQ is BOAT Mr Know-it-all, boat), and you make the absurd claim
that carbs will EITHER run good at low OR high speed.

That is absurd nonsense.
The reference to bikes proves your statement was bullsh**.

PLENTY of high performance cars also run just fine from low to high rpm with carbs.

Where in the world have you been?
and ever heared of the fact that bike carbs almost never have an accelleration jet?

Many do, many don't.

if you have ever tried using bike carbs on a car engine you?d have known what the problem would be.

Why would I? Plenty of people both here in the US desert racing world and some in Sweden and Finland on rally motors have, but I've had nice DCOEs on my car since 1987, supplied and fitted plenty more on relatively high performance Ford, Opel, Saab, Mitsubishi and Nissan rally motors.
Easy to jet, run fine.
my advice: tear apart a volvo 16v engine, and tear apart a bike engine...and start comparing . also stick em on a dyno and see why they cant be compared.

I have, and from what I can just about guess from your completely overboard self-confidence, for probably about 20 years longer than you've been on this earth, Nils.
If you're suggesting a stock B234 to some bike engine, then it's just a silly comparison.

But since you're obviously itching to show that you know, tell us what the big differences in design and execution are, and not the obvious dimensional differences.

maybe get some experience with weber?s, dellortho?s or solex multi carb setups on car engines?

I have only just over 2 decades with sidedraft DCOE Webers. Jetting and spares are a problem for Dellortos and Soil-ex, although one good friend with a nice Irmscher built AsconaB rally car has gotten me to peek at his ADDHE Soil-ex (that's a joke "soil" is, in addition to the obvious "dirt" is an archaic polite word for sh!t. Get it? They were Sh**, now they aren't anymore, so they are 'ex" as in formerly---a play on words and meanings---we like to joke around here Nils)

obviously you have spent more time in translating dumb stuff into swedish than reading/learning about basic engine knowledge. i can advise of a very good automotive study you could do...

You obviously are so full of crap that you're eyes have to be brown.
Did I read somewhere you just got out of college?

The writing things directed at YOU in Swedish was supposed to be a hint that I have worked on high performance junk on both sides of the ocean and in fact learned a fair amount from some of the well known engine builders in Sweden ---unlike what you obviously PRESUME-that you're talking to an American equivalent of YOU.
And with a name like Nils I assumed you were some sort of herring-choker or square head and assumed further than you might have more than rudimentary reading and comprehension skills.

Alas it's clear I was mistaken.

Look, don't make stupid statements and then go write more stupid crap to cover up or try and distract your truly bizarre claim that
Nils: carbs will either run good at low rpm or at high rpm...not both.

je lult gewoon uit je nek en hebt geen idee waar je het over hebt, appels met peren vergelijken zonder enige kennis van feiten en zonder enige ervaring.

No Einstein, its not comparing apple to oranges as we say in engels, and don't worry Nils I have plenty of experience, obviously decades more in both bikes and hi performance cars than you--and can read most Western European langues pretty well---since I worked in motorsport all Western Europe over for years--!

Say, rather than fighting, since you do seem to have strong passion, TELL US with words rather than simply claim something and yell "compare!!!" and then insult people with nonsense you seemingly have no idea about (see I don't assume you don't know anything, I have to GUESS that and that you are young and are trying to prove you're smart by the way you say things with no qualifications, no words like "usually it can be" or "Often we see...." or anything just punkt slut. That is usually(<<--- Oh look I did it!!) the sign of a very inexperienced person. )

And tell us who you are, where you're from, your qualifications and what work you do, give us some background why we should accept you not even reading what the original guy wrote and why we should believe you. (You did notice didn't you, that I suggested he do injection---just taking issue with the really insane claim about carbs)

Otherwise, don't expect any credibility.

(Did it ever occur to you that if YOU can't make carbs run good both low, mid and high, that the problem was with YOU?)

I <3 the DCOE's on my PV. They make great noises, and there's not really any lack of torque that I can deduce. Just instant throttle response.

Dual Carbs

College education isn't everything. I have an uncle with a college education. He doesn't have the sense that god gave a goose. No common sense at all. The remark about him that I always heard from others was that he was the dumbest smart man they ever knew.

Last edited:
john came up with the college thing ...he assumes i just came out of college..no even knowing anything about me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back