• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Friggin Mouse in My Car

doublek

No one wants to answer my Starting Issue so here's another issue...I got a damn mouse in my 780. Noticed his "calling cards" on my dash the other day. So I break out the shop vac and clean that up, open the trunk and see s**t everywhere. So I vacuum all that up. Lift up the spare tire cover and there he is beady eyes and all next to the spare sitting on a pile of material that no doubt came from from my interior somewhere. I suddenly realize he's probably the reason why my #5 fuse shorted blowing (still haven't found the short). Well I stick that vacuum hose down there and try to suck that little bugger up but he's too quick for me. But I'm hot on his tail and chase him for a few laps around the trunk before he finds an escape route somewhere and is gone. I checked the vac just in case but I missed him.

So he's still in the car somewhere. Left me a few turds this morning to prove it. Thought about poison but he'll probably crawl into some inaccessible place and die and really stink up things. Mousetrap is probably the best solution.

I'm wondering how he got in there in the first place. All plugs are in place in the trunk area. Cabin is well sealed and the only entry I can think of would be the fresh air inlet on the cowl but that has a good screen over it. Has to be coming and going because there is nothing for him to eat or drink and he's been around at least a week, probably more. I'll like to block future access so his friends don't decide to move in when he's gone.

mousetrap: tie a tiny cotton ball to the bait lever, and load it with peanut butter. they can't resist the odor, and their teeth get caught in the cotton- nighty-night.

And don't take this matter lightly- there is plenty of food and water in the car, from the wiring insulation to the water condensed in the a/c.

Last edited:
mousetrap: tie a tiny cotton ball to the bait lever, and load it with peanut butter. they can't resist the odor, and their teeth get caught in the cotton- nighty-night.

I like! I've used peanut butter before but never heard of the cotton ball. Going to try it when I get home tonight. Can't wait to catch that beady-eyed bugger. Sudden death is too good for him though after all the damage I'll be I find over the next few months. Hope enjoys his one bite of his last meal.

Click on my sig and join the 780 group!!

I really wanted to tell you to go after the mouse with a lighter and brakleen, but not in a 780.

Never figured out how he got in. Her car was sealed up TIGHT where she used to park it. Never found a dead corpse, never started smelling, and no more turds, so we're guessing somewhere along the way he got out. Never did find a trap that worked either. We had at 1 point 7 sticky traps, 2 twist traps, 4 snap traps, and some dcon in the car, with cheese, peanut butter, and chocolate as bait. None of the bait was ever touched even!

I hope I catch my mouse because I need closure! He narrowly missed giving me the satisfaction of hearing him scampering around in the bottom of my shopvac after "soiling" all over my nice 780. Glad to hear your problem seemed to solve itself.

Mothballs or ammonia might serve to chase it/them out. While killing the rodents might be more satisfying, the main thing is to get them out of your rig. You might take a look under the back seat.

I just found a nest below the air filter in my daughter's "new" 944. I saw a vole (like a mouse) run out of my 945T when I moved it off the trailer into my driveway.

Gwen's mouse was eating the bottom of the back seat. Not sure what tasted good, maybe the R leather?

She almost had a heart attack on the freeway....when the mouse decided she was the freeway, and ran across her lap to the other side of the drivers seat!

I had a '96 960 that was plagued by mice. For over a year I kept getting water under the floormats, then mold grew, even after cleaning up it would come back. I first checked the a/c drain tube and it was fine, or so I thought. I finally took the car to the dealer and they said a mouse had chewed through the side of the A/C drain hose that ran under the car. The mice went there for water. After scrubbing the entire interior and under pans, taking almost everything out of the interior, I kept the mice (and mold) away by using X-14 mold & mildew spray, never had a problem after that.
The same time I took the car to the delaer, they said a customer with a brand new XC90 came in and had to have the entire engine harness replaced due to mice eating through the insulation.
Livin' life in the Texas country has it's finer points, but this is what comes with it.

What you really don't want in your car is a packrat. They bring in dog turds and pieces of cholla cactus and strew them around their nest for protection. They love to chew insulation and an insurance selling friend says they are responsible for several car fires every year. One of his clients had a car that started itself occaisionally.

The best in-car trap is a snake. If you use a rattlesnake, be sure to remove it before you drive the car. If you live in an area that has packrats, leave your hood up about 6 inches. They usually get inside a car by eating through a wiring loom grommet or the big seal around the steering shaft.

What you really don't want in your car is a packrat. They bring in dog turds and pieces of cholla cactus and strew them around their nest for protection. They love to chew insulation and an insurance selling friend says they are responsible for several car fires every year. One of his clients had a car that started itself occaisionally.

The best in-car trap is a snake. If you use a rattlesnake, be sure to remove it before you drive the car. If you live in an area that has packrats, leave your hood up about 6 inches. They usually get inside a car by eating through a wiring loom grommet or the big seal around the steering shaft.

A rattlesnake...now there's a good idea. Might be a good theft deterent too.

friend of mine had rats in his ivy- we built something similar to the wheel of death, it was a 5gal bucket with 3 traps glued in the bottom and a good quantity of birdseed. They can see and smell the seed, and jump right on in.

i had one in mine then when i striped the car there was a whole nest of lil ones and the all met my shop vacand the parents i never found they are probly in my woods somewhere now idk why but evreyone i know with a volvo has had a mouse problem

^^ haha very inventive reminds me when i was younger we used to have a giant feild with these birds that where evreywhere and we used to get a cloths basket with a stick proping it up with a string atached and put seeds under it and sit out there all day cathching birds.

Back