• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C What did i **** up this time?! (Trans related)

PNW940Pwnage

Well, I'm at the end of my rope.

I replaced the engine in my P2 XC70 after the original went low on oil pressure and the road bearings started making noise.

I finally finished things up, and it's been issue after issue trying to get her back together.

Now, I finally top off the fluids and go to put it into gear - and nothing. The car revs up and down like it's in neutral, even though I have it in Reverse or Drive. I unplugged one of the trans cooler lines, and there is no fluid passing through the lines. No pressure.

I do recall hearing a "GONG!" sound as I was bolting the trans to the block when it was still out of the car.

So...what was the noise? What did I break? :roll: :oops:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If it wasn't bottomed out, it could do a few things. One is bending or breaking the flexplate. Then there could be converter damage or pump damage.
I would have responded on Facebook but it looks like I'm on leave for a day or so...

Hate to say it but the noise you heard was probably bad news. A friend ran into that situation when he was swapping transmissions in a P80 - the converter wasn't fully seated and the transmission case cracked when he bolted it on to the engine.

I always go for the three clunk rule and try to see if I can find a depth spec when installing a TC. Clunk one is one set of splines, clunk two can be the second set, clunk three is where the keyways on the TC engage the keys on the pump. It helps to look where the keyways are clocked and try to spin the TC on accordingly.

If you force things together, yep, you damage the pump and/or the flexplate, and/or TC. I have done all three before so dont kick yourself, just learn from the experience.

God damn. That really sucks. :(

I don't care too much about the flex plate or the converter; I can source those quickly. But I don't have the money to replace this POS gearbox.

How would I check to see if I damaged the trans pump? Is there a way to know? Thanks.

Shes toast sorry...been there done that, actually exact same thing years ago with a jeep motor I rebuilt. Soon as i put the motor back in i had the same thing happen, didnt seat the torque converter in the pump (wiggle wiggle turn turn shake shake till you KNOW its bottomed out) its a bitch lesson to learn but hopefully its one we learn only once. Best of luck op but time for another trans.

Back