• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T3 on 940

martinholmesuk

Hiya,

I am buying a friends 940 lpt. I think it's a mid 90's 940.
He already has a solid flywheel and 2nd 8v head and volvo spec T3 to be fitted. I had a few volvo's in the past and one was a 480 turbo with a T25 and modded ECU. Not sure what is needed for the 940 but I suspect and from searching the MAF needs swapping to a 960 version and the injectors need swapping out.

Any advice would be grateful. I really fancy a 940/Need something bigger to ferry around my little girl. Volvo being safe is a big bonus.

Below is the Triumph Spitfire I am building. Upgrading from M45 to M62 at the moment and it's all run by megasquirt.

Cheers

Martin

1292080_10153260723765258_2097195823_o.jpg

If its the T3 from the early 90s then you shouldn't need to swap any hardware. I think you may have to machine the manifold-turbo face of the manifold flat, but I'm likely wrong

Your right about the manifold. I was more thinking of fueling and ECu re mapping.
I do the like the idea of twin charging. I have a eaton m45 spare maybe low boost then T3 but not sure how to control that.

Boost is boost, no mods are needed on the engine management if you're still working in the limits of the stock fuel system (<15psi). Sure, to really optimize power you may want to adjust the maps, but what fuel system are you using?

Otherwise you'll need different oil feed and drain lines, and an external CBV if the T3 doesn't have an integrated one.

Just get a set of chips from tlao. Your right about matching injectors to the 960 maf. Thats was one of the first mods i do on my cars. The t3 @15 psi will be happy along with the bigger maf and injectors. Maybe look into cam upgrades as well.

The question is... Volvo 940 lpt turns up tomorrow. It's stock part from a MBC making the turbo push some more boost.
I have a t3 turbo from another volvo which I wish to fit.

Does someone have any links to information about modding the stock exhaust manifold so T3 turbo fits?

I see above I need a 960 MAF. How about the ECU? Does it need a remap and is there a guy on here who can I can give specs to and send away ECU for mapping? Later I will be fitting a Eaton M45 for low end torque and use a rev window switch to switch off the SC as the turbo kicks in. Sorry if I not been clear. My bad.

Regarding the Spitfire. Currently it's sat in the garage awaiting the SC install. I had some alloy spacers machined up so the SC can mount ontop of the cam cover. Waiting on other parts and fitting the pulley is proving hard.

If it's a Volvo turbo it will already have the stepped mounting face on it which will bolt straight on to the stepped Volvo exhaust manifold (the studs are a different size, but it works).
The issue you will have to sort out is that the T3 will likely not have a compressor bypass valve built into it like the Mitsubishi turbo does. So you'll have to fit one somehow. If you can find the hoses from a 740T (where the T3 probably came from), you can use those. Or rig something up with silicone hose and a Bosch CBV from a Saab/Audi/Porsche.

Adding the 960 AMM won't necessarily require the ECU to be chipped as long as you also change the injectors to match, but as you increase boost you may encounter boost cut. To solve this you will need to chip the ECU. Chips can be sourced in the US, or there are a few people in the UK who can help, PM me.

Also note: to get the t3 to mate to the 90+, you have to grind out the recessed lip on the exh housing to get to sit flush, approximately .5-1 mm. A simple dremel and bit will accomplish this. Took me about 10 minutes to do.

Also note: to get the t3 to mate to the 90+, you have to grind out the recessed lip on the exh housing to get to sit flush, approximately .5-1 mm. A simple dremel and bit will accomplish this. Took me about 10 minutes to do.

My god, 10 minutes with a dremel? You are either a madman or have one helluva dremel

Like I said, it doesnt take much to clearance it out , just enough to get it over the lip on the mani. Why are yall so surprised?

OK Folks here is the turbo which came with the car. I think it's been left in the most dirty place known to turbo chargers.

15042013777.jpg

15042013776.jpg

Pictures taken from old owners post...

Tag states = Cust p/n1367866 ATD p/n 466672-1 Model TB03
is meant to be from a Volvo 940 HPT

It needs a clean and rebuild. I have never taken a turbo apart but judging by the condition I think it's at least worth taking apart for a better look.

Anyone know where to get a rebuild kit for less then ?90! Also can I change the turbo parts to make it spooler quicker or am I getting too far ahead of myself?

"The issue you will have to sort out is that the T3 will likely not have a compressor bypass valve built into it like the Mitsubishi turbo does. So you'll have to fit one somehow. If you can find the hoses from a 740T (where the T3 probably came from), you can use those. Or rig something up with silicone hose and a Bosch CBV from a Saab/Audi/Porsche"

It (tb03) looks like any other turbo. I guess you mean the Volvo 940 lpt does not have a normal bypass valve (vac operated)
that would explain why I can hear a whoosh sounds as I put my foot down but I could not see the valve because it's bolted to the turbo direct.

It sounds just like a dump valve TBH. Fitting a bosch valve is no problem. Does the ECU dislike vent to air valve (dump valves/BOV)

"The issue you will have to sort out is that the T3 will likely not have a compressor bypass valve built into it like the Mitsubishi turbo does. So you'll have to fit one somehow. If you can find the hoses from a 740T (where the T3 probably came from), you can use those. Or rig something up with silicone hose and a Bosch CBV from a Saab/Audi/Porsche"

It (tb03) looks like any other turbo. I guess you mean the Volvo 940 lpt does not have a normal bypass valve (vac operated)
that would explain why I can hear a whoosh sounds as I put my foot down but I could not see the valve because it's bolted to the turbo direct.

It sounds just like a dump valve TBH. Fitting a bosch valve is no problem. Does the ECU dislike vent to air valve (dump valves/BOV)

From recent and painful experience, you will need to plumb the CBV into the intake. LH2.4 really does not like what happens when you 1) suck in unmetered air and 2) dump out previously metered air.

Try here for part numbers: http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/blow_off_valve.htm

Hope this helps.

Awww yes. Used to have same on the Volvo 480 turbo. Not a problem I'm not a chav ricer lol. Saab does a nice valve with brass internals for about ?25

Anyone with a guide on grinding the manifold for a 90+ Bit worried about this and you lot fighting :O

Also the turbo turbo actuator is looking very sorry for itself.
I reckon a T3 turbo turbo actuator will fit but how do I know which PSI it allows? Someone said part number ending 31 = 15psi.
Can I boost a T3 to 15psi ?Cheers :-)

Do you mean the wastegate actuator? Stock wastegate actuates around 7 psi (some people say 6, some say 8, it seems to vary). iPD has a stronger unit but the general wisdom is to run a manual boost controller to adjust when the wastegate opens. It's 1) a LOT easier to adjust and 2) you have much finer control over things. Not sure on part numbers though.

I have a T3 (I believe a 45 trim) on my car and it boosts up to around 15 psi, although I have some issues preventing me from finding the actual limit. I believe people have regularly taken T3s to that limit and probably higher, although it does depend on the specifications of the turbo. Someone who knows more about turbo sizing can clarify this, I'm sure.

Back