View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Now then begins the disillusionment, or as the legal folks call it, "the discovery phase". How bad is it? What lurks within this disfunctional beast? So I begin to peel this onion, to find out if my suspicion is correct....and hope that's ALL that is wrong.

So around May of 2010, we begin like this:

[IMG][/IMG]

and after what felt like one VERY long weekend, we have revealed the short (red) block:

[IMG][/IMG]

I was correct! What is undoubtedly the worst failed HG that I've ever seen (probably the original Elring with 190K on it:

[IMG][/IMG]

Well as you can see by looking in the coolant passages, the head/block look to have been pretty neglected (see crud, caked in the passages). The gasket surface of the head was actually pitted really bad, and I guessed it was junk anyway from the overheating. Fortunately, local TBer MikeSr. hooked me up with a clean 530 head which had been hot tanked and checked for cracks, a clean core. I hooked up FCP Groton with some $ and purchased new springs, retainers, seals, had the head cleanup cut .010" and all valves lapped with a 3 angle valve job. That totaled out around $300 for the head, parts, and machine shop costs. The finished rebuild 530 head looks pretty nice:

[IMG][/IMG]

I learned years ago in the SAAB wars, fix everything, renew all seals, whilst you are in there....otherwise you will surely develop a serious leak several months downstream of the head rebuild. Buy the seal kit for camshaft, intermediate shaft, and crank snout. Here's a trick I picked up from the SAAB boys on seal pulling with drywall screws:

[IMG][/IMG]

After some careful measures, I find a 50mm x 3/4" drive socket is the perfect tool (when you don't own the Volvo tool) to install crank seals. Everybody has that socket in their set, don't they? The crank center bolt pulls it into position:

[IMG][/IMG]

Been reading about these COMETIC MLS head gaskets, tight squish for power and economy, sounds too good to be true? Well the block deck has got to be clean and a good quality finish, so I've wet sanded the deck top using a machined steel plate (flat) and some 400 Grit, then 800 grit wet paper:

[IMG][/IMG]

Get a COMETIC on order from RSI, and while I'm waiting, I go back and check something odd....when I installed the front crank seal, the crank moved....a lot....more than I was expecting. I check my old Bentley, and I should have axial crank play of .004"-.008" or so....instead I measure .084". WHATTTTTTT?

[IMG][/IMG]

Holy crap. We are completely now into Project Step #2, disillusionment.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746

Last edited by DET17; 05-28-2012 at 11:29 AM..
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote