View Single Post
Old 05-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #16
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

With the (red)shortblock on the engine stand, freshly sealed & cleaned up, it was time to port out my 90+ exhaust manifold, non-EGR version. There was only a tiny crack in the bottom of the collector area, nothing worth grinding & welding. How far to port? I was advised to make sure there was about a 1mm "step out" into the inlet of the T3, always slightly larger in the flow direction. I measured my turbine inlet:

[IMG][/IMG]

The 56mm x 44mm opening would be reduced a bit as the target for the 90+ exhaust manifold. Here is my layout of the virgin cast iron prior to porting:

[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see, I reduced approx. 1mm off the width and height of the inlet to retain a small step out; this is believed to prevent reversion between exhaust pulses. The inlets to each runner were scribed with a factory gasket; if you look closely at #1 and #4, you can see the faint scribe lines if you look closely:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I was warned by those who have ported these iron manifolds, that it makes a helluva mess. I took mine outside on the back deck, and drove the neighborhood dogs nuts with the high RPM die grinder. Wear a long sleeved shirt you can either trash, or don't care if it rusts in the washer; I used a face shield to make sure the flying iron (30K RPM die grinder) did not get me. Here you can see a progression of pics of the porting work:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Now that I've ported out all the inlets to the 90+, it is time to port the collector. I don't have in-process shots, but these finished pics show the results:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

With the 90+ exhaust manifold ported out, I wrapped both of the long runners with header tape to keep as much of the heat in the flow, and to hopefully reduce boiling my suction line returning to the waterpump, as well as my oil feed line for the T3. Speaking of oil feed, let's get that line figured out and installed. None of the MITSU lines would work, supply nor return. I found this KINUGAWA Turbo teflon line kit for the Garrett T3 on fleaBay. The company reps. told me they could customize a supply kit for very littlecoin....banjo fitting all the way to the T3 supply line. Actually it seems like good quality for fit & finish of the supply line kit. This is a -4 size line kit:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I fit checked the turbo oil supply line, trying to go low and get as far away from the turbo exhaust heat to protect the oil & the teflon hose. I didn't like this low route as it put too much kink in my line right at the banjo fitting:

[IMG][/IMG]

So I rerouted upward, trying to hide the oil feed behind the water suction pipe going to the water pump; less KINK in the teflon -4 line and hopefully protection from the turbo heat:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This done, I installed the exhaust manifold with new factory gaskets, new locknuts, and torqued it all to specs. As you will see later, I used the sheet metal guards to protect plug wires 1 thru 3 from the manifold heat.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is online now   Reply With Quote