View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #25
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Onward with engine assembly. My 90+ was wrapped on the long runners with header tape, to keep the heat inside for the T3 to benefit from. This pic shows the final installation of the 90+, once the turbo feed and drains were finished, I went ahead and installed the metal locknuts (don't even think about using plastic locknuts here!), both on the exhaust mani and the T3 downpipe flange as well. Here also, the Bosch distributor cap & rotor is installed, along with new O-rings, to keep the oil in the head where it belongs:

[IMG][/IMG]

I purchased & installed the IPD Turbo cam for this engine; used Dale's gear with an advance setting of 6*, but with my .010" head clean-up machining, I realistically ended up with 4* of advance. I've not run one of these before, but IPD feedback says the advancing of the cam will recover some of the lost bottom end, and won't hurt the 3K plus performance. While I did not detail the installation of the cam (plenty of coverage on TB), here is a "must have" as far as I am concerned:

[IMG][/IMG]

Everyone who is hot rodding one of these redblocks, and shimming an aftermarket/stock cam, can benefit greatly from this shim kit from IPD. For the fee of the shipping both directions, and pay for "what you use" shims, this is a deal that can't be beat! I tried to shim my IPD cam with a compilation of 3 old engines worth of shims....found that at most I had about 3 different thicknesses, not nearly the right size for what my IPD cam/head needed (the head had the valves lapped and new springs/retainers as well...YMMV). I won't do another SOHC head & cam job without renting the kit. I bought the angle feeler gauges from IPD, and they work like a charm.

Up front, a new HEPU water pump is installed:

[IMG][/IMG]

and if you look REALLY close, right below the camshaft seal location in the top of the 530 head, you will see the cam oil galley plug is MISSING! I unfortunately did not notice...bought this head from another guy who had it cleaned and crack checked, and they apparently removed the 1/8 NPT plugs. Of course, I found this out after the complete engine is installed and after pouring in the oil

Here you see the stamped metal heat shields, installed about #1 thru #3 plug wires; I decided to give up fashion and retain the factory parts to protect my Aurora wire set:

[IMG][/IMG]

Drivers side (LH side) I plan to install with the intake removed for access & fitment of the wiring and plumbing on that side. The new breather box from FCP Groton is visible, installed. No, I didn't buy a VOLVO breather, I can't really see any defects in this replacement part. I know TB legend warns against these, but I'm doing my own reliability testing with this one. Here she is, torqued in with new O-ring seals on bottom side (at block):

[IMG][/IMG]

Well, since I'll be putting down better than stock power, and starting with an AW71 (only 128K miles, she shifted "tight"), I decided to go forward with the much ballyhooed "Accumulator Modification". Many, many a good writeup on this, so I won't bore you with the details, well documented on TB. Here is the cleaned up AW71 right after the valve body assembly is reinstalled. As I have said, a dead dryer makes a perfect automatic tranny work bench. Height is just right, most have a lip around the top to keep detergent spills in check....and it was FREE, left in my house by the sellers

[IMG][/IMG]

Two more important details to get right when you do this upgrade to the AW71. Make damn sure you note the correct position of this ratchet pawl, which I believe connects the shifter link/rod to the valve body. You get this wrong, and you get to drain all the oil and do over! The other pic shows the kick-down cable routing.....another "must get right" when you are reassembling, or you won't get autotragic kick down function:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This just about wraps up the engine/trans work. Next we assemble them, and get ready to install into the beast.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746

Last edited by DET17; 06-15-2012 at 01:49 PM..
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote