• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project

Disassembling M41 Trans

And the fun begins.... Something I did NOT want to do... Guess it's time to learn.
lRsg9lzl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Car is looking incredible, engine looks so fresh, love it! Still, never been a fan of the one color car w/ black engine bay, at least it goes with the yellow car and matches the engine theme! Keep inspiring!

Car is looking incredible, engine looks so fresh, love it! Still, never been a fan of the one color car w/ black engine bay, at least it goes with the yellow car and matches the engine theme! Keep inspiring!

The car will be repainted one day when I win the lottery. Lol.

Still have no idea what to look for in this gear box and what I should replace. Everything looks "OK" to me (nothing stands out).

Hey hub, I just went through this rear axle thing. The 1800 disc rears are pretty rare but an easy swap... swapping the brackets is something any welding shop should be able to do. The ford 8.8 is only a little more work though and let's you keep the awesome 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I had to swap the front hubs on mine and now have 5x4.25 all around. Hard to find wheels. If you don't already have donor parts from a late 1800, go with the 8.8.

All get more details on the 8.8 and way the cost.

Thanks,

I just picked up an 8.8 out of a drum brake explorer (1990?) for 100.00. My plan is to get a second hand passenger side (short) axle and see how much I need to take off of the long tube. Then I'll get a set of adjustable heim joints (RH and LH threaded) and do up a set of Triangulated 4 links. The great thing about the wagons is that the upper and lower link attachments are already boxed up. It would be easy enough to just weld the attachment points to the axle and go, keeping the panhard. But I want to eliminate the need for a panhard bar so I'll weld in new uppers on a 30-45* angle.

So far for the swap my parts list is:
8.8 --------- $100. (drum rears out of rangers and early exploders are way cheaper)
rebuild kit----- $70.
Heim Joint kit- $200.
Short axle ---- $40.
------------- ~410

excluding brakes since I havent decided on using the drums, my old front calipers, or saving for another wilwood set up.

Thank you everyone for your input on the rear end. I keep flip flopping on what i would like to do. Ford Explorer rear end will be easier to get my hands on in this area.

Cleaning Rear End Components- More Parts back from Powder Coating

Well I started working on the cleaning up some of the parts for the rear end and dropped off to be powder coated.

Removing bushings (redneck style). Lol
nqlMbTzl.jpg

lcA61wZl.jpg

MuMw1Ixl.jpg

The process goes by much slower with a good cigar though.

Got some more parts back from powder coating today too.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Rebuilding of Steering Gear Box

Starting to rebuild the steering gear box tonight. The bushings had to be pressed out, but the new ones just slide in with one finger. Don't think that's right.
UP08eETl.jpg

QdXwNmdl.jpg

00vCgVql.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Rebuilding of Steering Gear Box- Powder Coated

Steering gear box powder coated.
jgGUn7Ql.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back