• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

4x4 7 or 9

I had looked into it because I was bored one day.

You have to re-do the entire front of the car. I forgot where I ended up, but I recall thinking buying a Nissan drivetrain and motor would've been where I went with it. Seems idiotic without looking back into the details.

All stated, the money you'd spend to either make it handle crazy good with AWD probably make it not feasible. If you're looking for diff lock 4WD stuff, and you're gonna lift it... prob just go solid axle jeep stuff?

I'd go nissan skyline RB26DET with AWD or an Audi Quattro, or new VW R32. but just because its the right way round. That said, you could probably figure out Suby stuff pretty easily.

And I know it's not really in the spirit of the thread, but just go buy a 3rd gen 4Runner. They're more reliable and more durable than a Volvo is, they're good off road in stock form, and they're really good with a few grand in mods (suspension, armor). A lot less effort to just look for a good one on CL and buy it and enjoy.

Here's my '99 5 spd manual e-locker:
20170619_074752_HDR_zps489jwqkf.jpg

20448972_10214055551641888_6474900644777786921_o.jpg

But see this is the thing. OF COURSE there are ACTUAL good options to buy a 4x4... but by that logic, we should've all bought Supra's or GMC trucks.

This person has the will and interest to do something stupid and INTERESTING. We as a car culture should encourage this attitude because I WANT TO RIDE IN IT!

Heh, just punning on his username.

And we usually sidle into these projects, one increasingly iffy step at a time. I'm just tossing a thought out there, before the first step gets taken.

I'm in the middle of my own long running two-foot-itis Volvo project. Bought it with about 175 hp, wanted more, more, more, yeah, it's stilly. But fun.

Jesse tears it up with his lifted 940 and limited slip diff. hes got nice tires& like ,300$ in parts to lift it. and hes doing 6' high jumps

I saw a 544 sitting on an IH chassis for sale on eBay many years ago. It looked awesome, like a little Sugga.

I sometimes think if mine gets a little rustier I'll get another PV body to rebuild the car, and then stick my rusted to death PV body on some small 4WD chassis.

Back