• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bob George's '82 242 Turbo PROJECT

Hi, this looks VERY nice and clean, however:
You need to paint your intake and the fuel rail, so it doesent look so old (yes I know it's old, but everything else looks new).

Absolutely bangin mang.

That is the level of clutter that I will be going for in my next 240. Very nice, envy meter is off the charts.

Been doing some wiring, making progress. I've actually really enjoyed the wiring process because it's fun to learn how all the different circuits work. It's just time consuming :)

I'm routing all of the headlight (both sides), turn signal, horn and power wires from the black plastic housing along the left strut tower and through the firewall hole underneath the hood pull cable. The hole was enlarged to 1". I'll wrap all of the those wires in expandable braided sleeving, so there is just one "main" accessory harness. I relocated the headlight relay and power block up by the radiator, to keep the fenders looking clean.

The wiper motor wiring is separated from the rest of the harness and enters just below the wiper motor. I'll run the starter, alternator, dash coolant temp, and oil pressure light/gauge wiring together beside the throttle cable. Then the MS and EDIS wiring will go through one of the large holes on the passenger side. Battery is all installed in the trunk, on the passenger side.

With any luck I'll be turning the key in the next couple weeks.

82-242-wiring-inprogress.jpg

82-242-headlight-relay-block.jpg

82-242-wiper-motor-wiring.jpg

With any luck I'll be turning the key in the next couple weeks.
This is what we like to hear.:nod:

definitely loom that up

looks good...but you're not using a grommet to go through the firewall??? :grrr: Oh, and what's that dirty spot inside the hole on the inside of the passenger fenderwell in this pic? I sees pineneedles! I thought you were paying attention to detail...tisk tisk :-P

hah, everything will be loomed and grommeted. i just vacuumed out those pine needles before i even read your reply :lol:

Well, I didn't work on the car for like 8 or 9 days because I had my college reunion, a bachelor party and was generally just enjoying the summer (not at my house). But now I'm back at it and hoping to have it running by the end of June. I mounted the MS box, relays, fuse block and KnocksenseMS, and started on the wiring.

I'm using stock Volvo power blocks. The bottom one pictured takes power from the battery and sends it to terminal 30 of the fuel pump (30A) and main (40A) relays. Then the top one takes power from terminal 87 off the main relay and then sends three wires to the fuse block, where they're fused appropriately for the MS box (2A) and 2 injector banks (5A each). I ran the stock fuel pump relay signal wire (blue/red, terminal 15) over, which switches on both the main and fuel pump relays when the key is in the run and crank positions. At least it's supposed to do that :lol:

It's probably overkill, but I wanted really clean power to everything, having heard about issues with MS sensitivity. For now I'm using the Ford EDIS module for ignition, but am going to mount that elsewhere in anticipation of upgrading at some point.

Now I have underhood wiring, figuring out how to mount the radiator overflow tank, getting the correct size drive belts to use with Dale's pulley, hooking up the wideband and a few other small things. Then it's startup time.

82-242-MS-mount.jpg

Acrylic panel? Nice! Whole project is looking killer as usual. Taking the extra time now to properly sort the wiring will make any future trouble shooting soooooooo much easier!

Thanks man, much appreciated. It's getting so close that it's killing me, I just have so many distractions (fun ones :)) this time of the year...

Haven't turned the key yet, but still making consistent progress. Been busy this summer, but I've still been giving the car a lot of love :) This should be another good week.

Anyway...got the radiator overflow tank mounted behind the right headlight last weekend, among a few other things (set/checked TDC again, set 36-1 wheel position, got drive belts, fuel lines and some under hood wiring). The overflow tank sits a bit lower than the radiator, but I think it will be okay since the lower hose slopes downward all the way from the tank to the radiator.

Today I mounted a 100 amp breaker on the main battery cable, as well as a 20 amp fuse for my dedicated MS power line. I'm about to go out to the garage again and start building the under hood MS wiring harness, and then my EDIS wiring.

I built one wiring harness for the starter, alternator exciter, oil pressure sender, dash coolant temp and brake warning switch. It runs through the grommet originally used for the speedometer cable. This should motivate me to go T5 sooner than later. I have all of the Ford T5 swap parts, minus the gearbox itself and driveshaft. Also, I'm going to reroute the battery cable through the firewall on the driver's side.

My next big update should be the one where it runs...

82-242-overflow-tank-1.jpg

82-242-overflow-tank-2.jpg

82-242-overflow-tank-bracket.jpg

82-242-engine-accessory-wiring.jpg

82-242-engine-accessory-wiring-2.jpg

82-242-battery-box.jpg

82-242-breaker-fuse.jpg

Wow, placement of everything the bay is next to perfect....I hope the next project I have I will have this much attention to detail :)

Cant wait to see this thing run...turn the key!:-P

hrm...spent a lot of time making some stuff clean....but skipped over the details....

drumroll...
it runs. Started on the first try after maybe 10 cranks of the starter :)

The idle flew up to like 2300 rpm, so I need to figure that out. I'm not using an IAC, just the throttle body with the adjustment screw. Lots of tuning to ensue, but obviously I'm pretty happy.

drumroll...
it runs. Started on the first try after maybe 10 cranks of the starter :)

The idle flew up to like 2300 rpm, so I need to figure that out. I'm not using an IAC, just the throttle body with the adjustment screw. Lots of tuning to ensue, but obviously I'm pretty happy.

Yay! Congrats! Now we just need some video proof. Oh and pics of course! :nod:

I ran home at lunch and got the idle down to around 800 rpm by adjusting the throttle linkage. I can smell it running really rich, and I think I probably fouled the plugs because it wouldn't start again after a few brief runs. Going to pick up some 6's tonight (has 8's in it) and see if it starts again.

Definitely felt good to hear that smooth idle, and to feel some heat in that Bondo header :)

Back