• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B20 turbo

JuhaP

Here's few pictures of my B20 turbo project. As you can see, there's VERY little space available on Amazon :-).

Specs:
-------
B20 '75 block. Mahle forged pistons (7:1 compression ratio). Polished and weight-adjusted M-rods. B230 oil pump, shimmed 2mm, oil tray lowered 30mm, turbo oil lines added, remote filter.

Steel timing gears. "Mean" custom grind cam. Head heavily ported, 46/38,5mm steel valves, double valve springs. 0,8mm copper gasket.

Homemade exhaust manifold with 48mm tubing, external Pate Racing wastegate. Modified Mitsu TD04HL-16T (850R) turbo (CBV removed, wastegate removed). Dump valve. DHLA40 Dellorto carbs with homemade pressure box. Misab short intake. Aluminum intercooler. MSD6AL ignition.

Lightened flywheel. 240 turbo pressure plate. 4-wing sinter disc. Not sure about the transmission yet, probably M45.

Hopefully ready early next summer...

2.jpg

1.jpg

Ever think about eventually making copies of your system for sale?
Or maybe just the main components? Manifolds... Piping... etc.?
I'm still looking for possible options other than supercharging my '70 b20

One Bad Engine & CAR!!

Rob

Is that your black amazon???? The one with the big grill and "blue dots" in the taillights???

Man, if it that car is finished, it will be fantastic. And fast :)

Keep me informed, and good luck with it.

Yes, it's the black Amazon but it's not my car, it's my brothers car (though I have helped a lot to build it). I have a PV544 (black too). I first thought about dropping the engine in 544, but due to the insane building regulations in Finland (not to mention that you can only change 50% of car's parts, if you change more, you'll need to pay the car tax again as it's concidered as "new vehicle"), we decided to use my bro's car instead :-). So it's a 50/50 project nowadays, I guess :).

About making more exhaust manifolds, I don't think I will, because it was so annoying and slow task... I had to try the manifold on the car for about 15 times or so, just to notice it didn't fit... and weld it again in bit different position. And so on... :-).

I'll be posting more pictures as the project goes on...

50/50??? That sucks man, how do you now when a car has changed for 50%????

We also got some off those stupid regulations.

Here in Belgium you can't do anything special with cars after '68. The gouverment then decided that every car has to got a "piece of paper" from the manufacturer. On the paper are all the specs written (engine, hp,color,wheels, etc.) So if you go with a hard customized car (engine, tinted windows, lowered&chopped) to the car control centre, the car is'nt allowed to be on the road.

That's why I bought me a '67 amazon, no rules for this car, you can cut a piece out a weld it back together without having any problem on the car centre.

koenvbr said:
50/50??? That sucks man, how do you now when a car has changed for 50%????

We also got some off those stupid regulations.

Here in Belgium you can't do anything special with cars after '68. The gouverment then decided that every car has to got a "piece of paper" from the manufacturer. On the paper are all the specs written (engine, hp,color,wheels, etc.) So if you go with a hard customized car (engine, tinted windows, lowered&chopped) to the car control centre, the car is'nt allowed to be on the road.

Well, there's a list where all the car's parts are included and each part has it's own %. For example, complete engine is 12%. So when you change the engine, you have 38% left to "spend". The changed parts are marked to car's registration during the yearly inspection (I don't know what's the right term in english, "katsastus" in finnish :-)).

I must say you have a lot worse regulations in Belgium. You can't change anything on newer cars???

You can change wheels without any problem, if they're not coming wider like the car itself.

"Tuners" here in belgium mostly have spare parts, so if they have parts that are not allowed (like door handles which are removed from doors) mostly have a set of original doors. The car is putted on normal ride hight etc.

Much of them work a week to get the car in the original shape so they can pass the control. Or you have a friend who works there.

I think it's waste of money, that's why I started a turbo project, I can do what I want, no regulations. And they just check brakes and blinkers. I don't know why :)

And the car will surprise most of the people. I think :?

I read somewhere that a Swedish company (GIK http://www.gikturbo.se/gikturbo.html )use to make turbo kits for B20 motors. The person who posted the info. said that kits are still available. Info from:
http://www.geocities.com/iadr1/techphotosOthersstuff.html

I went to the website but since I don't know Swedish I couldn't understand anything. Browsing through the sight I found what I think is the parts catologue. There is Volvo section with B20 and a part #. I wrote them an E-Mail but I don't know if they can read it because I haven't recieved a response.
I also read that IPD sold turbo kits a LONG time ago.. Mayb from GIK???

Does anyone know any info about this?

Also KG Trimning (http://www.kgtrimning.com/) has low compression (7.5 "eller" 8:1) "Specialtopplock ".. has a cylinder head pictured. The title for the section is b18/20 Turbo.

JuhaP -> katsastus = car inspection (I think) And I really like your project.

I am new to all this turbostuff but I'll try to learn as much as possible, my plans is to get a Amazon and build a B20 turbo engine, I probably aslo will have a volvo 240 pretty soon so I guess I'm going to ask a lot of questions, I will also try to help translate swedish site's if anybody asks.

As I know of, It is possible to gain a lot of Power from B20 engines but how much is "normal" to gain from a B20 with turbo with a decent amount of money, approximately 1500 - 2000$ ??

Well, on this note, I have to ask this.....I was looking through a (LARGE) parts catalog I got from a friend in Sweden a few years ago -in it is mentioned engine components for a "B18FT" - WTF??? Is this what it appears to be?

Just curious.......

really slick looking Juha! Man, that is a snug fit!

Are you going to use an IC from some other make that has the inlet and outlet on the same side? Would make sense to me!

Loving the twin carbs!

One question, for the lack of space, how come you didn't consider just using the internal wastegate?

Doug

Ahh.. An update might be in order. The Amazon is now owned by Juha (I?m juha?s little brother, don?t remember if I mentioned that before?). We?ll start changing the front suspension bushings and most of the steering components when the weather gets warmer.. Mostly polyurethane. The dash has been drilled for extra gauges (a/f, boost, the works..).

So how much did the car "cost"? Well, I traded it for a b21et with a heavily ported 530 head, custom grind VX cam, adjustable cam gear, t4 garret with a header + external eskilstuna wastegate, 45mm dellorto carbs (they are roughly 1/3 bigger than the ones seen on the amazon, good for 400+..) intake (polished by me) and pressure box (polished). The bottom end has been inspected and is in excellent condition.

I?ll start looking for a relatively rust-free 242 as soon as we can get rid of a parts car (245glt) that?s blocking our garage at the moment. The idea would be to build a stock-looking but fast 242. Transmission will probably be m90 converted to a cable clutch. I?m not sure if I?ll use the slow-spooling garret, a mitsu turbo from the v70r awd might be a good solution too. Color will be metallic blue :lol:

doug242ti said:
really slick looking Juha! Man, that is a snug fit!
Are you going to use an IC from some other make that has the inlet and outlet on the same side? Would make sense to me!

One question, for the lack of space, how come you didn't consider just using the internal wastegate?

Doug

Hi Doug,

I'm getting a custom made aluminum ic next week, inlet and outlet are on different sides. I decided to use external wastegate because: it's easier to adjust without spiking, looks cool, I got one cheap and finally; there's no room for the original wastegate actuator :-).

Back