• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

89 240 DL CA smog failed help.

Check for an exhaust leak after the O2 sensor, but before the cat. When an exhaust leak forms, it not only blows out exhaust, it sucks in air on low pressure waves. This excess oxygen totally prevents the reduction end of the cat, and makes you fail for NOx, but it actually helps the oxidation end, so it will bring your HC down somewhat. The only thing is, when that is the case, it usually hurts more at low speed than at high. Still, it would be worth a look.

My girlfriend's Saab failed on NOx with everything else low, but NOx over 800. Found two exhaust leaks before the cat, just torqued the bolts down a bit and took it back in, and NOx dropped to under 30. But again, it was much worse on low speed.

So I plan on finally addressing the EGR tomorrow and am looking for a detailed guide on how to do it.

So I find this http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19549

Ok, better, and I quote from the Matthews site "Basically I followed the instructions here: http://volvospeed.com/Repair/egr.php"

sadly those instructions lead to no where :/ anyone have a detailed guide on how to disassemble whats necessary to get to the darn EGR?

http://volvospeed.com/volvo_repairs_how_tos/engine_repairs/exhaust_gas_recirculation_egr.html
nvm found one for an 850, I think this may be of some help for me to stumble though I'll start on it tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Inland Empire, Chino Hills to be specific.

Asked my dad to get a can of seafoam, this block is going to be all clouded up once I have her volvo, my 3000gt, and my moms 1992 Camry (in dire need of seafoam) all smoking.

OK, if you were here in Dago I'd point you to a good exhaust guy for a cat should you need one. Never tried Seafoam but wondered about how well it works. I have a '70 Ford F250 that could stand a clean-out as well. I worry about it cleaning it out too well, and then requiring a rebuild afterwards due to "unclogging" the leaking seals

OP be thankful.... EGR cleaning in a 240 is sooooo much easier then just about any other modern car!

Do also verify that ignition timing is right... If advanced NOx goes up.

I had an old RV that failed for low EGR flow, but all the passages were clear.
Pulled the valve, bored the hole in it 2x as big, put it back on,and passed.

OP be thankful.... EGR cleaning in a 240 is sooooo much easier then just about any other modern car!

I'm sure! Just popping the hood in a more modern car I'm :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Hit up Ontario Volvo dealership $7 for the throttle body gasket, and $7 for the egr gasket. Getting a new can of carb cleaner (could someone please explain why brake parts cleaner wont work) anything else I should round up prior to attacking this?

Flammable brakecleaner will work just a fine. Beware that it will attack an O2 sensor. Oil will also attack an O2 sensor. Being in Kalifornia you don't get the non-flammable Brakecleaner that works so well. :rofl: Your dear friends in Government keeping you safe :roll:

My brake parts cleaner is no where to be found so I will just get a can of carb cleaner. It's so cheap anyways.

Thanks again all of you, you really are half the reason owning a Volvo is such a painless process.

I really believe that after a good cleaning of the EGR, throttle body, temp sensor, and a seafoaming that we will be seeing passing numbers as I have reason to believe the cat is still good given the readings of the other gasses.

I have been made all too aware of the nanny state that California has become. Not by any bias news or individuals, but rather just by existing in the golden state, saddening really :/ If it weren't for the fact that I have beaches, mountains, forests, cities, and desert all within a short drive I wouldn't be here after high school.

*update* Didn't ask yesterday if my local Volvo dealer actually had the throttle body and EGR gaskets, they didn't have the EGR one but thankfully they ordered it today and it should be here tomorrow. I think one of her vacuum lines may be cracked or something as there is no suction, I will post a picture later of it specifically to verify with you guys as I know little of vacuum systems. Thankfully the vacuum system in this b230f seems to be rather simple unlike other cars of the era. I found it while seafoaming the engine.

Picture of the no suction line
http://tinypic.com/r/2d27m6r/6

Last edited:
Back