• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Mig or tig or what

photoman327

Getting ready to weld a vband flange to the hot side and need to know what others are doing for the best result. Got a small miller but might get this done by a pro.

i wouldn't bother preheating a v-band, there's no benefit of preheating something so thin. Not really any benefit to Tig in this application besides appearance, though Mig can have a very nice appearance as well. It alll depends on who ever welds its skill.

Might mean preheating the thicker flange prior to welding it onto the tube. Two very different thickness.

Acetone, rag, stainless wire brush for cleaning.

i wouldn't bother preheating a v-band, there's no benefit of preheating something so thin. Not really any benefit to Tig in this application besides appearance, though Mig can have a very nice appearance as well. It alll depends on who ever welds its skill.

I guess I should of said preheat the housing you are welding onto, For sure not the V-band, it will heat up in a few seconds once you start welding it.

I guess I should of said preheat the housing you are welding onto, For sure not the V-band, it will heat up in a few seconds once you start welding it.

Thanks, I understood the housing. I use to have skills but it's has been a few years since I welded and never cast. Thanks

the purpose of pre heating is important for stainless. Stainless cools faster than other metals, when the materials around the weld in the HAZ cool too quickly it traps stress and causes hardened areas in the metal. These stressed/hardened areas will crack - especially on a header that is supporting any weight like the weight of a turbo.
pre heat helps but you may want to consider post heat if working with stainless. The slowed cooling will help prevent hardening and loss of ductility in the metal.
PS I love my TIG but the learning curve is steep. Very good results can be achieved with MIG.

I post heated mine and suspend the weight of the turbo on independent supports.
DCA%20P1800GT%20collector.jpg

You may also want to purge the tube with Argon while you weld.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I remember learning in school that stainless holds heat LONGER then other metals, which is why you have to be careful of overheating it.

Honestly, it's GENERALLY better to MIG cast steel, and braise cast iron. This is because you get much better penetration with MIG than with TIG. Which ever way you do it, it's best to heat up the heavier part first, in this case, the exhaust side, so that you don't melt the v-band away and not get any penetration into the housing.
Plus, cast parts outgas like crazy when heated, and could contaminate and weaken the weld.

stainless conducts heat at half the rate of mild steel but has a higher rate of thermal expansion. cools faster, cools slower, whatever.

If your dead set on tigging it use a nickel or stainless rod, nickel perferably. And toss it in some sand for a slow cool after

Ive done them before. Like Brian said, preheat the housing, I use 309L, or 309Lmo filler material and toss in a 5 gallon bucket with cat litter, sand, and the last time I used wood pellets for heating your house.

Hey all,

I found this thread while searching and figured I could bump it instead of starting a new one since I'm looking for the same thing. I'm trying to have a 2.5" v band welded to my flat flange td04hl housing. A buddy of mine who I thought would be able to do it is not comfortable, thinking the v band will warp. I realize I could drive across town and hope someone could do it, but I'm not in a hurry. I'm actually hoping someone on here who has done this before could help me out if I ship them some parts??

Thanks,
Joe

My self I have personally mig welded 3 of them and had zero issues, make sure the metal is clean and preheat it. Then again I have sent 3 f them out to be tig'd by a friend. The one I am going to run on my car is going to be a tig one.

My self I have personally mig welded 3 of them and had zero issues, make sure the metal is clean and preheat it. Then again I have sent 3 f them out to be tig'd by a friend. The one I am going to run on my car is going to be a tig one.

I am no welder personally and have no idea where locally that could do it. Wanna send mine to your friend along with yours??

That one on the Holset housing you did for me Mike turned out great. Ran for a couple years on my car, sold to another member, ran for a few years on his car as well. That was mig'd.

Cheaper is not always better. Someone that has done this before would be nice.

Yes. A welder has done this before. Go to a welder versus sending it to someone who can weld.

Going to a welder isn't the cheap option, it's the cheaper option. You'll get better results.

If you want to hit a home run, you go find Barry Bonds*, not little Jimmy from down the street who's had 3 at bats and homered all 3 of them.

Go to a welder.

Back