• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The New 245

The more I look at your wagon, the more I tell myself I need some IPD springs for my 245. The Jeep cherokee stance really takes away from the sexiness these wagons are capable of.

Well, I decided to have a little fun with the car this past weekend at autocross. I had a grin on my face the whole time, but did wind up destroying a (I think) rod bearing.

That was Saturday, so on Sunday, I jumped in the car and drove 3 hours to Charlotte. I lucked up and found a pretty clean looking B230F from a '93 244. Yanked it out, tossed it in the Corolla, and drove back up the mountain. Got it unloaded at 2AM this morning :eyeroll:

I'll tear into it in a couple hours, but all signs seem to indicate that it'll be a good motor. It has compression when I turn it by hand, and the top and bottom ends look really clean. Here's hoping.

There is a flat flywheel converted for 2.4 in the mail on its way to me, so that's the last piece I'm missing for the 5 speed swap. Not looking forward to putting the pedal box in, but it has to be done. Oh well.

It was time for engine mounts anyway :-P

e3VEtENl.jpg

muxvXjRl.jpg

Well, while pulling the old motor out yesterday, I realized (not without help) that the torque converter bolts had loosened up, allowing the torque converter to rattle around on the flexplate. That was the knocking I was hearing, not rod knock.

Sigh.

So now I have a 240 that needs a motor put back in it, a pedal cluster to install, and a strep infection to fight while doing all of this. Hooray.

Sh*t like this makes me want to go take out a loan and buy a newer car.

:rofl:

I'm in the same boat. My shortlist includes a manual SH-AWD TL, a manual G37s, or an RDX (because it's such an oddball). So tired of DDing a modified 240.

On the plus side, when I cracked open the AC lines, it went HISSSSSS and expelled oil and refrigerant. So I may not be too far from a working AC system.

Just frustrating I went to all this effort to fix something that wasn't really a problem.

I was going to comment and say it did not sound like rod knock from the video, but then decided against it because what do I know anyway.

I was going to comment and say it did not sound like rod knock from the video, but then decided against it because what do I know anyway.

Oh well. Just some sweat equity. Funny thing is that the old redblock didn't leak a drop. I'll be surprised if this new motor doesn't leak. I don't think I've ever been able to install a new RMS without having it leak.

Doubt anyone has. My B21 has a two year-old orange RMS and it leaks. No one likes it when I park my car in their driveways :-(

Really nice lookin' 245 prop. Hope you have a lot of fun with it.

Well, after much weeping and gnashing of teeth, I think the motor is ready to go in.

Spent the better part of today chasing down bits for a -10 turbo drain, because the adapter I installed in the block was actually a -8 fitting.

The turbo had a -10 drain flange.

I lucked up and found a spare oil pan with a -10 fitting welded on.

Drove the 3 hour round trip to Asheville to get line and a 90* fitting. Came back, made the line, great success. All that's left is to put the clutch on, slide on the trans, and drop it in the car.

So like 4 weeks of work at the current pace.

Motor is in. Trans is in. Pedals are in. Just gotta put the intake and accessories back on, run the wiring harness, etc. Should run tomorrow. I guess I should fix the driver's seat too so I don't have to sit on a milk crate.

Runs and drives! Sounds like I goofed and left a little too much room under one of the cam lobes, but other than that, seems solid. Driveshaft also bangs around the tunnel a bit, but nothing too crazy. Minor details.

Gonna give it a good washdown tonight and clean out the interior.

Back