View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #88
pat244ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewrench View Post
For what its worth on disc front, drum rear 120/1800 cars they can be used without a booster. I took it off of my '67 1800s for weight loss, which has a dual master two years ago and have logged 10k road miles and 900+ road racing miles with the VSCCA. At the same time Green Stuff pads were installed and it stops fine, but needs a higher pedal effort.

R32RennSport recently installed Porterfield pads in his 120 w/o a booster on Ian at High Performance Volvo recommendation and also reports good results.

The original master cylinder is 7/8" but the earlier models made before Girling boosters came into use had 1" bore units for higher pressure. I'm going to install a dual 1" Wildwood unit over the off season because I want more braking with less effort on the road. Although on the track the brakes work excellent as is.

I don't know how well this would work on the later all disc brake cars, but it might be worth taking a look at?
I can do fine without power brakes - my rally car runs Porterfield R4's with no booster and on stage or in traffic I don't have much of an issue with it.

The biggest thing stopping me from getting rid of it on the ES is the fact I want my 70 year old parents to feel comfortable enough to hop in and drive it anytime. They have let me store the car in the garage for much of the past 10 years and they don't mind keeping it there, they just both want to drive it someday.
83 244ti - road race
79 262c - road race in the works
08 c30 T5 - daily recce car - M66, Lifted 1.5'', 215/65/16 Falken All Terrains on Method MR502's, iPD skid plate
97 Dodge Dakota 5.2 4x4
70 Ford F100 2WD 351M/C6
pat244ti is offline   Reply With Quote