• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Door handle rivet type

samtg

Driver's side door handle stopped working, took it apart and found that the return stop had broken off, and the pull rivet had either lost some kind of casing or the u-shaped hole it fits in had worn down so much that the assembly didn't pull up far enough to disengage the door lock.

Before I go out and buy a new handle, does anyone know what kind of rivet I could use to replace the broken parts? They kind of look like blind rivets, except the part that looks like the shank is the same thickness as the head, and of course the shank isn't broken off but extends to provide the stopping / pulling. No idea what this type of fastener is called so I can't figure out if the local hardware stores carry them.

Check this pin for wear. It's usually worn half way through by the time it gets any attention. The pin can also come loose. Either way, the handle isn't long for this world. You can try adjusting the barrel nut to take up the slack, but you'd better start looking for a replacement.

240DoorHandlePin.jpg

I have drilled the rivets out and replaced with machine screws. Best solution is to replace with a left rear door handle from a JY. Much better than an aftermarket one. I certainly would not put an aftermarket one on the driver door.

Broken handle issues start with the lock bolted to the door jam. Removes from the outside by two Allen slotted head bolts. Once you see how a lack of lubrication can seize up the operation you will remove and grease all of them.

Last edited:
Yeah it seems like machine screws are the way to go, gonna see if I can cobble something together over the weekend. I've heard enough bad things about aftermarket handles (and OEM ones go for $90) so I'd prefer fixing this one in a way that'll last another decade or so.

Yeah. I've refurbished mine with machine screws and some vacuum hose(as a bumper) on mine and work swimmingly. If the handles aren't cracked/broken; rebuild and profit. The aftermarket(and OE) door handle ones are garbage.

Holes were the perfect size for tapping 10-32 threads, also put some nuts and a plastic screw protector on there. Hopefully it'll hold up for a while.

MXA98Cu.jpg

uAPfLuB.jpg

Last edited:
Back