• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

245 GL -90 "B6284T" and other 6-cyl builds

Too cool, I don't think I've seen this build before.

Makes me want a Volvo 6 pot motor and to forget that V8 Chevy lump I was thinking about!

do you think a 3 inch exhaust could fit over the irs rear end?
Fits easily, 965 already has one. Looks like 3.5" wont be an issue either. Much easier to do than in to a 240.

Mueller:
Depends what sort of engine characters and weight you want.

Here "real" V8 isn't a real option for official street use because of limits in max displacement and power in street tune. Thats done comparing the engine to the biggest and/or most powerful model. You can apply for exceptions but it costs and is uncertain to go through.

Been pretty quiet in this topic since last update. Decided to have it moved in to projects & restorations because it fits there better than showroom. Just like in real life. What a better way to continue than with some minor cosmetic changes :-D

Had some tracktime in fall with 242 4.6l, friends 242 8V turbo build and this. Had a blast and got a good feel how well friends 242 does handle with electric power steering, fast steering rack, stock Turbo suspension, polybushings, rollcage, Truetrac, IPD 25/22 swaybars and engine with a wide range. Got to say it was the best 240 I've ever driven.

245 worked fine with 1.7bar boost. Downside was that I happened to flip it on the last lap. Literally said to friend on the previous lap that next one is the last :roll: Just too late braking, sharp turn into a corner, maybe a bit too high tyre pressure and rear lost grip. On the brakes sideways on to the soft safety area where wheels dug in to the ground and finally just turned the car over. No other injuries than mental ones. Later checked Racechrono logs(10Hz GPS) and braking happened ~70 meters later than on the previous lap, entry speed was ~7km/h/4mph higher. Speed before braking 237km/h/147mph.

2.jpg

All pics here.

Some laps with all cars mentioned: https://youtu.be/yX9ruo2XI_4
245 lap and flip: https://youtu.be/yX9ruo2XI_4?t=7m9s
And for you interested only in what happened ;-): https://youtu.be/yX9ruo2XI_4?t=9m18s

Got it turned back on to its wheels by track management and pulled to the pits. Engine bay cleanup from oil that came from breather can, etc. All round check, testing on the pits and drove it home ~22km/14miles. Works just fine.

Damages: Front end from bumper upwards, right side doors, right side rear fender, front of the roof and whole roof moved a bit backwards. Front right tire scrubbed pretty badly to the fender and needs to be replaced. Deciced to repair the car rather than moving everything in to another 245(previously mentioned in this topic).

4.jpg

Been doing repairs to the body since, other projects just have taken some time from this. It's not even close to factory but it'll do for now. Having the roofline even close to correct was a pain but it's somewhere there.

Front inner fenders were bent downwards but needed only a bit of jacking. Changed the roof from B-pillars forward, did the joining with glue and extra supports. Thought that changing the whole roof would been too much work for me. "New" front fenders, doors, etc. Bought 91-> type windshield for cleaner install as I wanted previously. Did a full rollcage to complete the half cage I had made previously. Not so much for safety, rather to test how much does it effect to handling.

I didn't really like the original color and was debating hard with my self if I should change it. Went through color palettes several times. It had to be from the same era and used in 240. Ended up choosing 400 Beige Metallic for main color. For contrast or other nonsense reasons the hood stays in the original color as well as engine bay. I've done all of the prep work and painter just painted the body. Other parts hopefully soon.

25_2.jpg

Again, what has been done, pictures here: https://lankku.kuvat.fi/kuvat/245+GL+-90/Laitot+2017/Motopark/

Coming updates: Kaplhenke Quicksteer roll correction parts and for better allround performance a mildly custom HX40 with #22 exhaust housing. Should be capable of doing 650-700hp on this engine which is enough until next time :lol:

Completely forgot to mention that previously changed from HX55 back to K31 for driveability and it's plenty enough for me. So now going back to a smaller turbo.

That is one heck of a crash! Glad you're ok! Would have loved more info on your t6 960 though with pics of the setup!

If I'm going to leave something unmodified it's the wipers :-P They look wrong the right way.

Wouldn't really call it a crash, there just was enough energy to turn the car over. Little less and it might have stayed on all fours.

Here are pics of the 965: https://lankku.kuvat.fi/kuvat/965+-95+B6254T/
Engine bay pic in subfolder.

Nope. 287hp, not whp and HX40 as I've written ;-) T6 injectors and higher fuel pressure. Otherwise stock B6254S.

So wondering if I can get away with similar numbers but with green giants from an s60R and maybe a little more boost!

I read your build thread again but failed to find any mention of the type of head gasket and head bolts/studs you are using... Are you still on regular head bolts and gasket?

Stock aftermarket on both counts. Elring might be/have been OE headgasket manufacturer. Almost everything I haven't mentioned specifially can be considered stock.

Been slowly advancing the build. On thursday painted pillars with gloss black from A to C(originally B and C) and was considering if I should've chosen semi-gloss/satin. Installed doors and front end this weekend, etc.. Fitting took some time and it's still not finished yet. Painted door window trims gloss black and after install it looks like a good choice. Except you can see every fingerprint :lol:

Also painted insides of front lights and sides of the glass black excluding reflective surfaces. Was thinking of changing to white blinkers all round but orange is the way to go after seeing how well they fit.

Here are some pics before door trim and rear light install:

31.jpg

29.jpg

Will change front bumper to an undrilled.

There has been some progress, done assembling, installing interior, etc. and now it looks something like this:

35.jpg

37.jpg

It was already getting a bit dark so lightning isn't the best.

Front left fender was repainted because it was the test piece for the new colour and had a bit different tone. Trunk lid also got a new layer of clear coat.

Back