• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'95 960 goes T5

:wtf:
bondo.gif
sawzall-smiley.gif
eek2.gif

Unfortunately my resin for the fiberglass is reallllllly old, so it takes some time to cure :( but it is getting to look like a distributor cap :)
DSC_1500_small_zps52294420.jpg

The resin for the fiberglass was a bit old... about 3 years old... it never cured :(
Gave it to a pro fiberglasser to finish it up :)

In the meantime I attacked the A/C vs. stock engine mount problem.
The problem: No way the AC would fit there... the 960 compressor is huge, I have to stick with the fwd compressor
DSC_1339_small_zps7c37b8cb.jpg

The solution:
bought a 240 mount and fabbed up my own engine mount (ran out of time, still in progress)
DSC_1509_small_zpsfb66c1b9.jpg

You can witness my FIRST EVER spot welds :)
DSC_1523_small_zps5ef19d4c.jpg

Oh and found some more chopping to do:
DSC_1517_small_zps4fc13940.jpg

It starts to look like a complete engine again:
DSC_1520_small_zps0b735c6d.jpg

Now I need to figure out how to route the accessories belt... :grrr:

Did you just...make your own distributor cap? Awesome.

Yes I did :cool: I hope it will work :nod:

Looks like a nice build.
Why didn't you go with COP instead of the 'shrug' custom dist cap?
Sounds like a better solution in the long run.

I call it Patrick
Patrick_Star.svg

:)

Yeah, COP would be nice, but a aftermarket EMS is out of my league at the moment.
Plan is to buy a VEMS.. or wait for the Buchka Co. to finish the awesome buchkaspark ;-)

How exactly would he do that?

buchkaspark, bitches

YESSSS

intake side engine mount done. AC fits. Everything fits. I feel proud. A little. :D
Now I need to fabricate AC lines..
DSC_1553_small_zps8330c239.jpg

Hopefully today evening I'm going get back the distibutor cap. If it works the car is basically done :)
Except the wiring.
And the electro-hydraulic PS pump.
And the exhaust.
:roll:

opinions needed:

because of the intake manifold I had to loose the power steering pump. I have a electro-hydraulic pump instead, so no worries there. But the serpentine belt routing has to different. I was thinking about adding a "idler pulley" to the top where the PS pump was, but later I had a better idea:
versus_zpsef572e8d.jpg

the original title is misleading, it is the later style belt routing.

pulley diameters doesn't change so the speed of the AC and generator shafts are unchanged. I guess...
Do you guys see any problem with this setup? I believe it is going to work... but I'm not 100% sure... need someone to back it up :)

edit: the belt coverage on the AC and generator pulleys remain the same

You want P/S on a DD car unless you don't have to park where you live :-P

I don't know the space you have available, but you might try what's on my car, which is a 740 pump with the 960 pulley and a 90* fitting on the pump to make room for a future intake design. You can see though, that the whole assembly is very low.

It might work for you...just a thought.

Make sure you either cap that tube or drill some drain holes or it will fill up with water and debris.

Good call, didn't think about that... :roll:

You want P/S on a DD car unless you don't have to park where you live :-P

I don't know the space you have available, but you might try what's on my car, which is a 740 pump with the 960 pulley and a 90* fitting on the pump to make room for a future intake design. You can see though, that the whole assembly is very low.

It might work for you...just a thought.

http://s602.photobucket.com/user/Ye...et.com/albums/tt106/YellowT5-R/2crossover.jpg

http://s602.photobucket.com/user/Ye...ket.com/albums/tt106/YellowT5-R/3pumpside.jpg

I'll have PS, not the OEm but a electro-hydraulic pump.
I have really no room, I don't think the 740 pump would fit. I know it has a remote reservoir... and it would save me from a lot of headaches... but the space is very limited :(

****.. M90.. $900 well spent already!
Hell yeah... but the only awesome thing about it (as far as I can tell) is the fact it bolts up to the 5cyl engines. It is rare even here, expensive and not that durable in stock form...
If it blows up I'm gonna toss in a getrag from a bmw. KL racing has some nice adapter plates.

Picture-less update.
-New serpentine belt routing is going to work, still need to buy the belt and relocate the tensioner. Easy
-the homemade distro cap still not ready.. so I started wiring. Plan was to make a motronic 1.8 -> 4.3 adapter. I won't, got upset and ordered a VEMS :)
- started fiddling with throttle cable - linkage part... what a pain in the a$$. I measured many time, had like 10 variants, nothing worked. It is either opening fine to 100% position and not closing fully or vice versa... pretty frustrating.. IT IS A SIMPLE THING :pow: :roll:

The car has to be done by the first weekend of June. That is the new deadline...

When I bought the engine I got a modified thermostat housing as well.... now I know why. The factory coolant temp sensor touches the intake manifold.
DSC_1554_small_zpse1435a86.jpg

And finally the loud pedal is connected to the throttle body :cool:
DSC_1573_small_zpsf53cde0e.jpg

So Vems is on its way.. I need a motronic 1.8 connector...I tried to be gently.. but brute force wins!
DSC_1569_small_zps8535ed16.jpg

Found a spot for the electric PS pump.. it is right where the windshield washer tank is... so it has to bo modified... oh joy...

Oh, and another fail.
the vac. tree almost touches the alternator. This setup won't work :(
I'm gonna use the 960 vac tree and plump the iac in a different way.
DSC_1576fail_zps4c69b76c.jpg

Back