View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #342
Board Member

Originally Posted by Milos View Post
04-24-2012....can anyone tell me if there are other powerstages i can use besides 0 227 100 203?
Here are the specs for the 0 227 100 203, which is similar to the 0 227 100 211 . Bosch 0 227 100 211 "is an external ignition power stage capable of supplying up to four non-transistorized ignition coils." It can be setup for wasted spark (2x2) or four coils.

Offhand, I suspect if four stand-alone coils are used, then sequential firing might be advised. 4 stand alone coils drawing say 8 amps each in wasted spark setup will generate heat in this power module, and I can't say if this module can take it with 4 separate coils in a wasted spark setup.

Bosch shows how to create a simple driver board (igniter) in both of these spec sheets, btw.

cribbj ("Supra" Moderator) posted a wiring setup, about eight posts down in that forum, for this powerstage.

Bosch's 0 221 122 334 coil, has a 8A maximum charge limit, and it was used on LH 2.4, and was OE for Audi/VW. This coil is also used for after-market applications, like for Ferrari Dino 246 and Lancia Stratos. For instance, for a Ferrari Dino 246, one person who did this conversion noted,

"This setup has a similar approach and precision as the very effective Marelli AEI200/Magnetic pickup setup in late GT4/GTB/GTS cars, but delivers 33% more power due to the higher coil current (and 100% more power compared to the factory points setup)."

As a side note, that after market kit would be nice to install in a distributor with points.

So, this Bosch coil, 0 221 122 334, can soak up 8 amps and will generate a high energy spark. GM's LS2 (D585) coils can absorb close to 10 amps if 5 ms of coil-dwell time exist.

Wasted spark is an improvement over OEM setup, but for the most spark power, sequential firing setup is needed.

My two cents, if I used a wasted spark setup, I would consider either of those Double-spark ignition coils mentioned in this thread, but I'd learn towards the Ford coil, 8241, since they would be in stock in most auto supplies.

84B23F is offline   Reply With Quote