• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '91 744 B204GT project

Some progress finally.
Engine went out of the car.
M46 removed.
Clutch & PP removed, found out my flywheel is bit >tired<
In the meantime I have at least removed the rust & repainted the oil pan, when I was there I checked all oil squirters are intact. Also cleaned the oil suction pipe screen.
Luckily I also checked the seal at the other end of the oil suction pipe. This seal was completely torn :wtf: so new one is on the way.

qbaJtzMh.jpg

e174UByh.jpg

yN9bTtUh.jpg

saEJUyAh.jpg

gDtIr46h.jpg

Last edited:
Slowly slowly moving forward...
Rear main seal replaced together with the paper gasket, M46 pilot bearing removed and retroturbo pilot bearing with the adapter for M90 installed :cool:

MpMfueJh.jpg

r4T0Zrhh.jpg

Last edited:
So, after some more thinking I've decided I'll ditch the balance shafts. Originally I wanted the car to be mostly stock, but yeah...for other things I can't resist to modify, so why to keep this system anyways.

Something I can clearly blame turbobricks for :)

qh6ymYkh.jpg

acEuvLih.jpg

Wziw1WAh.jpg

GFn6ZiXh.jpg

Last edited:
Reached the stage when more assembling than disassembling is to be done :)

Old mounts
jXs8ExXh.jpg

One mount was even completely torn (the screw is wobbling in the metal mount top)
ZZMikFrh.jpg

New poly mounts from retroturbo
qjTZdenh.jpg

Also converted the old M46 transmission crossmember mount (on the top) to the M90 transmission (bottom)
zOoX53Ah.jpg

Last edited:
Finally some more parts arrived...

Oil sump tube resealed with double o-rings
GkTV6uAh.jpg

Intake removed..
hKIXehJh.jpg

...and phenolic insulation spacer installed
m9SMjC8h.jpg

XqpMOldh.jpg

Last edited:
After having some >unclarities< about the clutch and pressure plate fitment...today I finally managed to let the B204GT meet the M90! :nod:
The pivot ball has been spaced with the washers 4.5mm towards the clutch, all sliding surfaces lubricated and then these two beasts bolted together.
For the clutch and PP I am going with option #2 mentioned >here<, which means clutch from 850GLT (Sachs 86 1862 314 032) and performance PP (Sachs 883082 999763).

Super happy that this is done :)

5IoNXgQh.jpg

lrJHVSFh.jpg

kJXQEUoh.jpg

Last edited:
You're making some good progress! I didn't know you need the adaptor from retroturbo to fit the m90... sigh :-P curious to see the next steps!

Abe

You're making some good progress! I didn't know you need the adaptor from retroturbo to fit the m90... sigh :-P curious to see the next steps!

Abe
You *can* use adapter, and you will get smoother box with less chatter, but in all essence, what we call M90 is just another 3-axis Getrag and they usually don't use pilot bearings. Some gear chatter is mandatory... I have B204FT 740 with M90 swap and '97 945 Jurbo with single-mass flywheel swap, both done by me, both done circa 120k klicks ago, both used as car recovery trailer tow rigs, neither 3rd-gear-syncro-modded, both holding on just fine to this day...
All it takes is a bit of not being idiot to your car.

Really nice and clean project. Like it!
Thanks!
Abe
Yeah, as nordmaschine mentioned, it is not absolutely necessary, but it adds some extra safety...and when I am already there with machining the flywheel and other stuff, it makes sense to me to add it.
You know that wood trim is factory right? Also that pilot isnt needed
The wood trim was complete garbage, cracked, twisted and so...and anyways I don't like the look at all ;-)

Fuel cut-off issues

Hello Tomasss, swapping the M46 for the M90 MKII in my '93 960-B204FT made such an amazing difference. Not only the way the M90 shifts gears so much smoother and more accurate, imo also the gear ratio's really fit the B204GT/FT better. If you encounter any - annoying - fuel cut-off issues on the way caused by the TCU, like I did with my first conversion (after installing the TD04-19T (V70R), 3 inch exhaust system with HJS cat, green tops, ITG air filter etc), I am sure you will tackle this. If not, let me know. Maybe I can help you out. Good luck with the conversion.

Last edited:
Hello Tomasss, swapping the M46 for the M90 MKII in my '93 960-B204FT made such an amazing difference. Not only the way the M90 shifts gears so much smoother and more accurate, imo also the gear ratio's really fit the B204GT/FT better. If you encounter any - annoying - fuel cut-off issues on the way caused by the TCU, like I did with my first conversion (after installing the TD04-19T (V70R), 3 inch exhaust system with HJS cat, green tops, ITG air filter etc), I am sure you will tackle this. If not, let me know. Maybe I can help you out. Good luck with the conversion.
Hey Rijk, thanks...I am really hoping in driving the car this summer. Still waiting for some important parts though. Let's see. There shouldn't be any TCU related problem as I have removed it completely :-D

Lots of progress today.

- the resealed oil sump went back in
- cleaned up oil pan with new gasket back in
- intake enlarged for the big throttle body from 960
- and the best part...the engine went back in :nod:

I have also measured the cylinder compression and it is:

#1 10bar (145psi)
#2 9.5bar (140psi)
#3 9.5bar (140psi)
#4 8.5bar (125psi)

Is that a reasonable status of an engine with 180tkm? This engine is using hydraulic lifters, and the test was without oil...so it could be better once the oil is in...

VCVeQvfh.jpg

W53gEU6h.jpg

G9ouaIrh.jpg

Last edited:
Back