• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3 sets of fuel pumps failed

Thanks TestPoint, I really appreciate yours and everyone else's thoughts... Found one on Ebay for 113 shipped, to me it's getting to the point of well why not...! R. As an after thought would the injectors be playing any sort of role is this dilemma? They were replaced as well with NAPA stock I believe.

My tank rust ending up costing me over $1400.

Replaced lift pump once, pressure pump twice, 2 filters, fuel tank, had the fuel distributor (K-jet) rebuilt twice ($400 first time, courtesy warranty second time), rebuilt CPR, replaced OEM Bosch injectors which were packed with rust. Fuel distributor had rust in it on warranty rebuild.

Tank rust will blow right through a fuel filter.

Sounds like you have electronic injectors which can be professionally tested and cleaned for far less than the $400 of the Bosch units. And . . . that was an excellent price for 6 injectors.

Good luck!

I ordered a submersible android device, should be here by the weekend to have a look into the bottom of my tank. Did you go in through the filler tube or where the sender unit is located in the trunk?

I bought the fiber optic camera after the tank problems but would have tried it that way first. Probably through the pump hatch.

Siphon the tank down as low as you can get it and let it dry. You should be able to remove the lift pump/fuel level sender assembly and determine the extent of rust. The pump sits in the lowest point in the tank in a steel surround. That sump should be rust free.

Lightly rusted tanks can be restored but probably for more than the prices you quoted for a new tank. The tank will have to be removed either way.

Ok good, thanks. Naturally the tank is nearly full but I'm hesitant to take it anywhere with the very real possibility of another failure leading to a tow. R.

Got the camera and tried to go into the filler tube with no success. In through the trunk I went but really didn't need the camera to see that there is no rust at all in the tank. A good flashlight through the in tank pump hole revealed clear to the bottom. I am at wits end, really don't know what to do next.

How much fuel are you keeping in the tank? Less than half tank in hot humid weather may cause vapor issues if the in-tank pump is having issues.

thanks lummert, since I've been fighting this issue the tank has been at all different levels all with the same results; main pump starts to whine and eventually fails. There is another spot I'm going to check over the weekend. During the resto while the interior was out I had to repair the power and ground feed to the main pump so I'm going to take the back seat out and recheck everything and if needed create new connections etc...

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 82
got the back seat bottom out this morning. Cut off the 2 original power connectors (male/female) as they were a bit loose and probably the reason I taped them the first time and re did the ground connection; sanding all points and applying a small bit of dilectric grease. Ran the car for about an hour idling in the driveway with no additional noise from the main pump other than the low hum which remained constant. I'll take it out on the street tomorrow.

tomorrow I'm going to put him up on jack stands, drop the fuel pump tray and replace the whole wiring harness for power and ground. While there I'm also going to replace the 3 rubber cushions with new pieces. How's that sound?

When I pulled my back seat I had a huge burn spot on the bottom of the seat from fuel pump wire. Im lucky it didnt catch fire; I eventually ran all new wire for the fuel pump and converted to one pump in the tank. Also check your rubber lines, Ive seen cracked fuel line that will suck air and cause problems.

that's interesting about the burn mark, I too had a similar situation when I had the interior out, see the pic. I really want to know all about your conversion to one pump, would you mind messaging me here and we can exchange emails? Thanks Ralph

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 49
just rewired the main pump, this is what I took out. Probably touching or arcing the whole time? Test drive in an hour or so...

Attachments

• IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
harness to the main fuel pump under the car. This portion was hidden in the grommet. The test drive started out good but ended up with the pump making noise louder than when I started and pulsing a bit but no failure. 20 mile round trip.

can anyone offer advice on how to replace these fuel pump tray cushions?

Attachments

• 411C5SABriL._SX463_.jpg
    411C5SABriL._SX463_.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 71
It's like a grommet Ralph -- you just work your way around pushing the them through the hole, and the opposite going back in. Are new ones available? If I'd known -- threw mine in the trash after taking apart that tray to support my new filter/regulator....

Back