• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil Filters-Best brand?

745wagon

Need to change my oil, 1990 745, But don't have access to my dads shop where i used always either Mann or Volvo filters. Anything out there comparable? I've heard good things actually about the Napa Gold line of filters.

Thanks

mobil 1 filters are great, probably better than mann based on my subjective oil-life by color rating, but they dont fit turbo models.

mobil 1 filters are great, probably better than mann based on my subjective oil-life by color rating, but they dont fit turbo models.

Mine's a non turbo, I didn't know there were different filters for turbo ones. Learn something everyday!

Thanks, Gunna grab a napa gold and giver a shot.

Mine's a non turbo, I didn't know there were different filters for turbo ones. Learn something everyday!

Thanks, Gunna grab a napa gold and giver a shot.

there aren't supposed to be, but the M1 filters are too long for a turbo model because mobil didn't do enough leg work.

As long as you are changing your oil on the regular then it really dosent matter. I feel like they all do the job well. That said...any oil filter that is left in there for 4-7000 miles will suck. So just change your oil and you will be fine.

WTF? Same Volvo/Mann filter used for turbo and na alike, same story where the M1 filter is concerned.

For reference this↓ is a photo of the Bosch M1-109 filter attached to a '94 944T.
http://www.threefattigers.com/Protocore/Volvo/P940_3771b.jpg

In order of preference:
Mobile 1
Mann/Volvo
Pure 1/Bosch Premium

the newer fram filters actually aren't that bad. Its just the el cheapo orange ones you want to avoid.

I use mahles in my s60, but besides that the other cars in my family get what ever filter of decent quality that is on sale with the oil. Pureone from AAP, k&n, mobil 1, or the better frams.

mann or genuine volvo

The standard oil change interval specified by volvo for the B230 powered volvos is 5000 miles. Since most of us probably stick to the 3000 mile rule it probably does not matter within reason what you use, which is especially true if you use synthetic oil. However, as others have mentioned the Genuine Volvo and Mann filters have the best check valves and given that these probably have more of an impact on protecting the engine than the actual filter medium I stick to those. If you have to do a boutique or aftermarket filter I would roll with mobil 1 or NAPA Gold as mentioned earlier.

Mike

yeah I've been doing the bosch filters for a while on the cars that matter to me. Just recently started using the supertech filter for the dd

Back