• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil Filters-Best brand?

There are very very few filters I recommend.

Mann, of course.

Purolator PureONE filters.

Bosch is one of my personal favorites.

Mobil1 is also good but damn expensive.

The best thing to do is buy a case of 10 Mann oil filters from FCP Groton and you're paying $3.49 a filter for the same company that makes the $20 Volvo filters from the dealership. The same filter fits my '70 142 with a B20, my wife's '85 744 turbo and my '92 745 turbo. Why mess around with anything else? just my opinion.

There are very very few filters I recommend.

Mann, of course.

Purolator PureONE filters.

Bosch is one of my personal favorites.

Mobil1 is also good but damn expensive.

I had a Purolator filter on my old 740 and did not like it. I used the same oil i always use, (Castrol 1540) and i was about 2500 Kms from my 5k oilchange interval and my oil light started flickering, It was clogged. The oil in that car after 5000k with a Mann filter came out CLEAN always. Just i could have had a bad experience?

Anyways, Picked up a napa gold filter, like $7 so i'm happy with that. Good to see all the brands that Tb approves of for next time.

Bosch Premium is supposed to be the same thing as the Pure 1, I've used the Bosch P. with no issues. I used to use Amsoil filters until I had problems with the check valve drain, too expensive a filter to put up with such defects.

Note that color of oil is not really a factor of the filter used but of how long the car is driven, lots of short trips, and or lots of stop and go will tend to make it darker quicker.

The best thing to do is buy a case of 10 Mann oil filters from FCP Groton and you're paying $3.49 a filter for the same company that makes the $20 Volvo filters from the dealership. The same filter fits my '70 142 with a B20, my wife's '85 744 turbo and my '92 745 turbo. Why mess around with anything else? just my opinion.

+1. Same here, 3,740's and 2, 240's from 78-90 all the same. Simple, cheap, and OEM....

Three Fat Tigers said:
WTF? Same Volvo/Mann filter used for turbo and na alike, same story where the M1 filter is concerned.

740Weapon said:
M1 filters are too long for a turbo model because mobil didn't do enough leg work.

at least for the later-style turbo models, the M1 filter is literally too long to fit.

In a one answer "no" Mannn Volvo or Mahles. I use mahles because I purchased 3 cases at 19.00 each. Now after the face I wish I had purchased more. if you think about where does most engine wear start?... at start up when most of the oil in in the pan. the three that I mention have a great check valve that oil light in on like a milasecond. Mobil one filters are overrated and over priced. They are made by champion. You can not go wrong with Mobil one oil but not their filter. Pure one is a great filter and I use them on my SS Impala but not on my Volvo's For the longest I cut open very used filter to look at the construction. Fram may be better now but in my mind they still junk. Some one made the point about the 3000 mile change and it should not matter what you use. I would still use Mahles, Mann or Volvo period.

i ahve used crappy fram filters and change them reguarly and had no problems at all. i have also ran mann filters and had no problems at all.

All I use is Mann....but used a Hastings once. It was the first "other brand" filter I ever saw that had a different filter for NA or turbo (you could see the check valve in the turbo's).

Manns are excellent and very cheap when you buy in bulk. Mobil 1 and Purolater PureOne are also fantastic with better filtering, but rape your butt expensive. Amsoil is a little better but likely as good as any filter on the market and it has some excellent design features which allow them to hold more dirt than the previously mentioned filters. Apparently the new Royal Purple branded filters are superb, but I have no personal experience with them.

I had a Purolator filter on my old 740 and did not like it. I used the same oil i always use, (Castrol 1540) and i was about 2500 Kms from my 5k oilchange interval and my oil light started flickering, It was clogged. The oil in that car after 5000k with a Mann filter came out CLEAN always. Just i could have had a bad experience?

Anyways, Picked up a napa gold filter, like $7 so i'm happy with that. Good to see all the brands that Tb approves of for next time.

the reg. purolator filter i wouldnt get, but... the purolator PUREone is a great micron filter. i am currently running a mann and a purolator pureone filter on my 242turbo project.

like other people have said the mobil 1 filters are good.

stay away from fram, garbage

I always buy Mann filters from eEuroparts, or FCP. They're great for padding out a parts order to qualify for free shipping. That way, they're (almost) free.

Haha, On the topic of oil changes, Whenever i've done it before, there is a specail wrench hanging on the wall just for doing drain plug bolts, Don't have that luxury now, What size wrench is it? :oops:

mobil 1 filters are great, probably better than mann based on my subjective oil-life by color rating, but they dont fit turbo models.

Mobil One filters do not have the anti-drain back feature (check valve). I tried one, and my engine hammered on start up. Talked to the tech line, and got nothing. I cut it open, and the guts were junk. Looked like old toilet tissue.

Went right back to Mann filters.

mobil 1 filters are great, probably better than mann based on my subjective oil-life by color rating, but they dont fit turbo models.
Not really

Mann, Napa Gold or Mobil 1 apparently..

no mobil 1, bosch should now be purolator which is a good filter though and can be found at autozone

there aren't supposed to be, but the M1 filters are too long for a turbo model because mobil didn't do enough leg work.

K&N oil filters have better flow rates and larger filter surface areas than Mann and Mobil 1.
Mobil 1, k&n, and stp oil filters. All the same filter. http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html#champion

Pure one, bosch, mann, baldwin, or wix/napa gold. At least that's all i'd put on my car.

you might find this interesting

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html#mobil1

its a shame that there isn't mann or mahle filters in the comparison .
I am with you. I kinda want to do my own comparison. Anyone want to donate some filters or money to help me do it?

I bought a 10pack or 12 pack of MANN filters from FCP a while back,

still have a bunch. These are not made in Germany, but Argentina or something, if that matters.

I love how almost everyone in this thread and countless oil filter threads think they're smarter than the Volvo engineers that designed these engines.
Let me know when you have your doctorate in
http://www.mecheng.ucl.ac.uk/research/thermofluids/ic-engines/?p=research
And are working for a major automobile manufacturer,and I will listen to you.

Until such time I will listen to the white coats at Volvo.

Well to be fair, I do think volvo used mann because they were a euro company; that's not to say they aren't a good filter, they are, that's what I use; but there are plenty of other good filters, just most of what was mentioned is crap. I am going to start comparing filter some day in the near future.

Well to be fair, I do think volvo used mann because they were a euro company; that's not to say they aren't a good filter, they are, that's what I use; but there are plenty of other good filters, just most of what was mentioned is crap. I am going to start comparing filter some day in the near future.

There's been tests done,and studies made.
Check in on the 'bobs the oil guy' forum.

Tell you what;
Cut open a Mann,and another filter of your choice,and hold it up to the sunlight.

RPR has German made Manns for $7 out the door.
LMK how many you need. ;-)

Back