• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

rich idle with 42lb injectors

itsacrazyasian

i stuffed a set of 42's in my 91 940. bypassed the resistor block, reset the ecu to let it relearn. its got a rough and rich idle to the point it makes my eyes tear. i tried stuffing the guts of my 016 maf in a 3in tube but it made the car run worse. i stuffed the factory injectors back in and it runs smooth again, just down on power. i drove it around with the 42's in and the idle bumped to keep it from stalling in hopes it would relearn to run with 42's but after about 100 miles no dice. has a new o2 sensor factory bosch, idle air and tb are spotless and working properly. coolant temp sensor is good.

any ideas?

get an 012 amm out of a 960 and give it a shot.

Otherwise 200+ miles and 5-6 cold starts and drive cycles to lean. 42lb is about at the limit of LH 2.4 on the stock AMM.

What turbo and mods do you have? if you are not moving enough air then it will run huge rich with the 42lb injectors.

while any chip set will improve performance it should still be able to compensate for the 42lb injectors as long as the AMM is a match. Try an actual "3" 012 AMM" and make sure the injectors are calibrated/functioning properly and are of OEM quality or better.

just ordered a new reman bosch maf for a 92 volvo 960. Hope this takes care of it. Part throttle tip in ping went away with the new 42's.

i had let the ecu relearn a few times driving to work full drive cycles. Lets see how it does with the new maf.

I know Mike has been busy moving but its killing me not knowing if i killed my EZK, im just hoping it starts and runs with the new EZK chip in.

Nice, yeah I figured he has been busy. I messaged him a few weeks ago about a similar issue but I sorted it out. Let us know how it goes, I have a billet 22t, 3" DP, AMM and a set of greens I'm also going with that I hope are enough fuel! So good luck, to all of us! lol. Happy 4th also btw! ttys. ;):cool:

Last edited:
I cant wait for mikes chips to arrive. I got my 012 maf in today and installed in the car and the 42lb injectors swapped back in.

Car still has a funky idle after letting the ecu reset and driving it around for a bit. its not remotely smooth at idle.

Lets see what happens when the chips come in.

Mike. As I've been reading quite a lot and things have moved along with these Volvos...

If you're using stock 2.4 ECU's you're saying that 42lb/hr is about the limit?
What is the limit of adaptability on your chips with the stock AMM?
What's the limit of adaptability on your chips with the 3" AMM?

Pump gas (93)?

Of course I'm aware it should all be paired with appropriate mods and turbo... I'm just curious where the boundaries of your tunes lie? I thought you were running 750cc's or something, but then I read you had so 1000cc's but with a "custom" tune on your chips.

Is there a point to jump to MS or other engine management from your chips that's based on fuel delivery?

With the stock ECU you can run the same Injectors as with my chips. The sizing of the injectors and Amm need to match your air flow goals.

With the stock AMM 38-42lb Injectors are around the limit that LH can compensate for. If you go with larger injectors you need to go to a 3" am (012) I ran 46lb and 55lb injectors on the stock ECU with the 012 amm. Later on I ran 65-75lb on pump gas with the stock ECU but I had a larger turbo to actually use the extra fuel.

The key of it is really a guessing game and letting LH do what it does best. I ran LH custom tuned up to 350whp or so. With just the chips and some good guess work and making sure everything is setup correct no reason you couldn't do 300-350whp as it is not really rocket science just basic tuning and pay attention to details.

With the stock ECU you can run the same Injectors as with my chips. The sizing of the injectors and Amm need to match your air flow goals.

With the stock AMM 38-42lb Injectors are around the limit that LH can compensate for. If you go with larger injectors you need to go to a 3" am (012) I ran 46lb and 55lb injectors on the stock ECU with the 012 amm. Later on I ran 65-75lb on pump gas with the stock ECU but I had a larger turbo to actually use the extra fuel.

The key of it is really a guessing game and letting LH do what it does best. I ran LH custom tuned up to 350whp or so. With just the chips and some good guess work and making sure everything is setup correct no reason you couldn't do 300-350whp as it is not really rocket science just basic tuning and pay attention to details.

I believe in your cause and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

LH is very simple and stupid but also annoying. If you really pay attention you can do a lot.

Jao had a 244 with a b230f+16v+t running 2.4 with some rough tuning we did and at 18psi his car was dead even with my 744 b230ft @25psi. We were both running the same turbo and similar ICs but him with a J-Pipe and custom intake and me with my custom header and custom intake we made. Both of us were running the same 75lb injectors on e85. Sure mine had a 200r4 and his a getrag but still amazing how quick both cars were.

LH has it's issues but basic paying proper attention to details and it can do a lot more than people give it credit for. Then again going MS is fairly easy and a total blast once tuned right.

Haha... I was just about to ammend one of my "manifold" threads regarding j pipes etc.

Back