• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel Accumulator test screw

DStarratt

1982 240 turbo - With the screw out in the back of the fuel accumulator and car off there is no fuel leak. With the screw out and trying to start the car the accumulator leaks a lot of fuel. Is this normal or should the accumulator contain the gas even during an attempted start? Thanks

The accumulator should never leak fuel. Early cars had a barb on the accumulator that was connected to the fuel sender to return fuel to the tank in the event the diaphragm ruptured. Later cars have a screw in place of the barb, but if you look closely, you'll see there's a slit on either side of the screw to allow air to the backside of the diaphragm. If the diaphragm ruptures, fuel will leak out the slits.

Sounds like you have a busted diaphragm in your accumulator. Time for a new one.

The accumulator should never leak fuel. Early cars had a barb on the accumulator that was connected to the fuel sender to return fuel to the tank in the event the diaphragm ruptured. Later cars have a screw in place of the barb, but if you look closely, you'll see there's a slit on either side of the screw to allow air to the backside of the diaphragm. If the diaphragm ruptures, fuel will leak out the slits.

Thought that was just for fuel vapor. Learn something new every day!

Well I replaced the accumulator. The new one has the nipple for the hose to tank. It's also smaller than the one I replaced but it doesn't leak. The diaphragm is good. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

I still have a warm start issue. Car starts cold... runs ok... restarts strong after running... then starts slower and slower the longer I wait between starts... after a two hour rest it will not start. Wait half a day and she starts strong again. I thought the accumulator was the culprit but looks like it is something else or something in addition to the accumulator.

Mmmmm.... The bemoaned K-Jet hot start issue. Test test test... Verify replace.

Doing it right is not inexpensive and when finished you will still have K-Jet.

Volvo fitted a nice pulsed electronic injection system in later cars that is easily fitted to your car but is still '80s technology. Look a bit and you will likely find that someone is selling an aftermarket engine management system that may even work well out of the box.

'82 should already have the impulse relay.

ImpulseRelay.jpg

Thanks. Im on my second cold start injector. I'm collecting them at junkyards now. Ha. I'll try that again. The car always starts when I spray a little starter fluid into the intake.

Back