• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ATP Ultimate Wastegate pics

SlowRide

Cold War Crumple Zones
Since photobucket bogarted all of our links, I figured I'd post some pics of the most recent ATP ultimate wastegate. I purchased the mild steel variant, $168, and I think I'll be happy with it once I'm making boost. Also purchased the 8mm 1.25 studs ATP sells because I'm lazy.

Here we go:

bTqywIll.jpg

Compared to volvo 48 flapper,

Eh0Rr6El.jpg

39zysIul.jpg

ngbx207l.jpg

Clumsy trace of the flapper footprint, looks like porting is also gonna happen.

TBjGgoJl.jpg

Post casting clean up so flapper doesn't catch, could have done more at the top of excursion, doubt it will catch though.

And now, my favorite:

p7SVzHSl.jpg

WTF ATP? Even with a shorter stud, what sort of nut will fit there? Forget flanged copper lock nuts on two other studs, but unflanged nuts fit fine in those places.

Les sighs...

Raise the flange, angle it, fit the nut, tighten as you lower it back down? lol. If all else fails, Grinder time? Wtf ATP? ;p

Last edited:
Raise the flange, angle it, fit the nut, tighten as you lower it back down? lol. If all else fails, Grinder time? Wtf ATP? ;p

Yeah, I tried raising the flange and nutting that one first. It would work, just an annoying pita...
Looking at it again, I need to trim that stud to see if its making more contact than I thought and pulling the whole shebang over, then maybe dremel time. The side wall isn't very beefy.

just be thankful you can preinstall the wastegate housing on a bench and not on the car and once its installed you should hopefully never have to uninstall it again.. custom length stud seems like the right answer and a slim lock nut carefully lowered into place.

just be thankful you can preinstall the wastegate housing on a bench and not on the car and once its installed you should hopefully never have to uninstall it again.. custom length stud seems like the right answer and a slim lock nut carefully lowered into place.

Tell me you've done this with it all still on the motor :urgod:

I'm just bothered that this cost 168 bacons, for a cast piece, and THIS is the issue.

Tell me you've done this with it all still on the motor :urgod:

I'm just bothered that this cost 168 bacons, for a cast piece, and THIS is the issue.

well they could have included a bump out for extra clearance which would be right in the flow path which would be less than ideal every single time you use it or you can just deal with a ****ty install once and have a cleaner line. I know what I would pick.

well they could have included a bump out for extra clearance which would be right in the flow path which would be less than ideal every single time you use it or you can just deal with a ****ty install once and have a cleaner line. I know what I would pick.

If it was smooth there wouldn't be much difference, at least not for the vast majority of people buying in. That's why I want to see the stainless one because it's only $10 more and might be different.

What about using a bolt?

Flange too tall and no clearance due to the transition. Maybe if the flange was notched, but I'd sooner return it and find a cosworth housing.

So...guys...just so happens that I know a guy in the right places with ATP. I sent him a link to this thread, already got a response.

First, he wanted to apologize for the issue. He hasn't heard of fitment issues other than having to lower the wastegate housing down while you run the nut down. That's more due to getting flow thru it, but it is a known thing. I had to do the same on mine.
The flapper clearance is something he'll look into, but it realistically won't be an issue since you will never have the flapper open THAT far under normal use.

Last, these issues aren't going to be an issue going forward as the iron version is slated to be run out when the stainless version rolls in.

Thanks for bringing this up guys! There's no way to get things improved unless the right people hear about it. Thankfully ATP actually cares about their parts, customers, and their name. Sure wish some other companies did the same...

Did he offer any hints on when the new stainless will be available? And is it different than the stainless option they currently seem to have available? This won't be going onto the 242 for a while, just hoarding and staging things as time and money allows. I'll probably end up returning this one before I hack it up.

I just used a slim locknut and short stud exactly as BNE says.

No fuss.

Another one I did I just filed down where the bolt sits to a lower height and filed/ground it very slightly so the closed end stubby slim wrench can slip in there. Wasn't too bad to get it all flat enough and neat.

You could use a socket cap screw and appropriate locking washer with a ball end tool to tighten I suppose...
Stud/nut is stronger, however.

The swing arm on the waste gate flapper isn't the same as OE. I spot welded the OE to the ATP one in two spots. No more travel/actuation issues.

Ran into a similar issue with my header. But because I modified it, not a design flaw. I just modified the bolt. It locks it in place too which is nice when tightening.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6R4NdYkxJrM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back