• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How I did rear coilovers on a 240

firefight

How I did rear adjustable rear springs on a 240

Here is how I did rear adjustable rear;
Looking though different Volvo builds, I have seen how some people do it, try to get a standard 2.5" coilovers spring to work with the 5" upper spring perch. But this never seems to look right.
After doing some digging on different circle track sites I found an adapter plate that goes from the 2.5" spring perch to a 5" spring, I also found the rear VW mk4 spring perches bolts on like a Volvo. I was able to get 5" coilover springs from summit
c12c0ac82b441c1ac2f5740ccca43e56.jpg

First I removed the stock spring
d6854c382502f751325c8a9ae039eaac.jpg

Next I bolted on the VW adjustable spring perch
6c1a5e245eed4c48c72e04da8cdd87bb.jpg

c6793c61b82547e38b80235346b9636d.jpg

Next the spring adapter
c186fc6c14896fba8d3a3da2a2d50630.jpg

Then I put in the spring, with the shock removed, there is plenty of room to toss the spring in with out compressing it.
Then I cut the bump stops
5886e81f81ee8db76571ac0db715acb5.jpg

To prevent the suspension of going full droup and the shorter spring fall, and to not blow out stock shocks I had to run shorter shocks.
Most seem to go for a s10 front shock for the rears, but when I looked at the difference, between the stock and that recommended shock, the difference wasn't enough. I found that shocks from a c10 rwd fronts are shorter
63d18019f82c4fd0545dfbbd493a0b37.jpg

202e5bcbd38eb0523a86998bce871f4e.jpg

Two things need to be changed on this shock, the upper mount eyelet is slight to big, KYB offers adapter sleeves for cheap
ef7d274fcdbc82c089d4e4e6c4dc9d3c.jpg

The thinnest one goes on the upper mount bolt
2c9569159259a0d3506cd98c71de499e.jpg

The lower sleeve is too short, so I swapped the lower bushing and sleeve
9b9233548cc1186ed462ae8f344a6d99.jpg

355a2d201ac819652da93544b4331496.jpg

Those now can be installed.
Next I installed my DYI adjustable panhard bar and adjusted it to center the rear axle
bdad99888cbe20ed1fd3550bb42cb1db.jpg

Nothing but bad pics on that.

Here is a picture of the suspension with loaded
8dce5642b54f794e3c6d8336a177da20.jpg

unloaded
023cfaa9eb845f30bb85e0404bce0fc5.jpg

The shocks don't let the axle go down enough to to let the the spring fall out, but I still have a good amount of suspension travel and feels nice and comfortable.
I still need to build adjustable torque rods and bring the wheels forward.
Here's before and after with both coilovers
249c60a4f04f8223bf329740b0f84473.jpg

Parts i used
-VW mk4 adjusters
http://www.esetuning.com/solo-werks...-gti-jetta-gli-new-beetle-mk4-s1vw004-23.html
(these aren't the ones I used but same thing)
-Perch adapters
http://pitstopusa.com/i-12067617-allstar-performance-5-coil-over-adapter.html
-Springs
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lan-h300/overview/
Shocks
part number listed above, as well as the adapter sleeves

Last edited:
Do you have the spring rate that you used along with damper spec? What was the intended purpose? Just to lower? As such... you were looking for lower and comfort yes?

Might help others out with reference if they know what spring/damper combo you used and what results it yielded for your car.

Do you have any info on what the adjustable range (actual heights) would be with these? Also... what wheel/tire combo size is that?

Great thread! I really like the mostly bolt on solutions going on here.

I still need to build adjustable torque rods and bring the wheels forward.

This is the wrong reason to install adjustable torque rods. In fact, if you actually use them for intended purpose (resetting pinion angle to factory specs) it would most likely move the rear wheels back even further.

Cutting and shortening the lower trailing arms is still the best way to deal with the rear wheels being out of center with the wells once lowered. BTDT

Do you have the spring rate that you used along with damper spec? What was the intended purpose? Just to lower? As such... you were looking for lower and comfort yes?

Might help others out with reference if they know what spring/damper combo you used and what results it yielded for your car.

Do you have any info on what the adjustable range (actual heights) would be with these? Also... what wheel/tire combo size is that?

The springs I use where 300lbs/in because that is what I read that was recommended on a different thread.
springs where 8" tall.

the shocks specs I could find where only length compressed and extended. I physically compared those to new 240 ones, they felt slightly stiffer, but where not totally un-compressible by hand.
I imagine that if you wanted it stiffer you could got to the Gas-A-Just which are stiffer, or bilstines.
I wanted it to be low and comfortable, and didn't want to just cut my springs,

The picture I posted of car in the last picture shows the adjusters about 3/4" down, with a total adjustment of about 3" downward.

Wheels are 16x8 BMW bbs style 5s, with 25mm adapters. Tire size I don't know off hand, ill find out when I get home

Last edited:
Great thread! I really like the mostly bolt on solutions going on here.

This is the wrong reason to install adjustable torque rods. In fact, if you actually use them for intended purpose (resetting pinion angle to factory specs) it would most likely move the rear wheels back even further.

Cutting and shortening the lower trailing arms is still the best way to deal with the rear wheels being out of center with the wells once lowered. BTDT

Thanks that was the goal, to make it bolt on nicely and give the impression that it was meant to be that way.

Thanks for that info, Ill start doing some reading on shorting the trailing arms!

I'm not trying to take away any business from Kaplehenke. I got my adjusters used for free, or else I would have gone their route.

Looks good, solid info. If you find tire spec post that too.

The springs I use where 300lbs/in because that is what I read that was recommended on a different thread.
springs where 8" tall.

the shocks specs I could find where only length compressed and extended. I physically compared those to new 240 ones, they felt slightly stiffer, but where not totally un-compressible by hand.
I imagine that if you wanted it stiffer you could got to the Gas-A-Just which are stiffer, or bilstines.
I wanted it to be low and comfortable, and didn't want to just cut my springs,

The picture I posted of car in the last picture shows the adjusters about 3/4" down, with a total adjustment of about 3" downward.

Wheels are 16x8 BMW bbs style 5s, with 25mm adapters. Tire size I don't know off hand, ill find out when I get home

Back