• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bypass speedometer, self excite alternator

Beau

How do I bypass the speedometer/odometer assembly and get the alternator to excite without going in through the dash?

I'm installing an aftermarket gauge setup and am no longer concerned with any of the "dummy" lights.

Thank you in advance for your replies

You don't want a warning light anymore? Why not just use a switched power wire for a charge warning light in the new dash? A small warning light is cheap and it'll perform the same function without the key on test in the stock cluster. One side of the light would goto switched power. The other side goes to the D+ warning light connection.

I wouldn't self excite the bosch alternator since they are setup to use a warning light to start a charge. Now if you have a Denso volvo alternator. You can buy a self exciting regulator for them and have what you want.

I'm trying to simplify things and if I don't need a battery/alternator light then I'd rather not bother with it. Is there a regulator of sorts within the instrument cluster? If so, could I retrofit a wire from the battery with a "regulator"?

I just want to be able to bypass the instrument cluster and omit/not worry about any dash light.

I responded to your thread about the exact same thing you posted in this thread. Alternator needs 12v switched to excite. Unfortunately you won't know when your alternator fails because you won't have any warning. Or buy a Volvo Denso and a self excite regulator like Dave said.

Thanks for replying. I was looking for a way to delete one of the threads but was unsure if that was possible. Is Denso a manufacturer of alternators? Where do you purchase a self excite regulator?

I'm not concerned about knowing when my alternator has failed. I'll find out 10 minutes after the light would have preemptively warned me and I'll be stranded either way.

I bought the self exciting regulator on ebay. Volvo used denso alternators on late 80s and newer 7 and 9 series redblocks. They have two versions. An 80 amp and a 100 amp. search for volvo denso alternator. There are rebuild kits, regulators. All the parts for rebuilding.

Even the self exciting regulator had a warning light connection. You just don't connect anything to it. You can use a voltmeter to monitor your system.

you could change the lightbulb of the no-charging warning light by a ceramic power resistor. That will do the same job.

I'm not concerned about knowing when my alternator has failed. I'll find out 10 minutes after the light would have preemptively warned me and I'll be stranded either way.

When my alternator wasn't charging, all my lights except oil and CEL were on. :nod:

Does anybody have a wiring diagram that identifies the wires connecting to the instrument cluster?

Back