• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Visited the Volvo Engine museum last month (56k no no no!!!)

v240tic

Background: As part as my job as a foudry engineer, I am memeber of a Nordic Usergroup for a casting simulation software. The user group activities involves foundry/factory visits, and last month we visited Volvo Powertrain in Sk?vde (God, I love my job:cool: ), the division which produces engines for Volvo Trucks (the car engine plant was separated when Ford bought the car production, but is located next door... Unfortenately, we didn't get to visit that plant this time...). The visit included a tour at the Motor museum, showing most of the engines prduced at the plant.

volvo_motormuseum_1.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_2.jpg

An example of todays production, a six cylinder diesel engine for truck use.

volvo_motormuseum_3.jpg

An early engine, made in 1912, and named Penta (This was when the factory in Sk?vde was an indipendent engine manufacturer).

volvo_motormuseum_4.jpg

The first engine manufactured for Volvo, the DA from 1927, producing a "whopping" 28hp.

volvo_motormuseum_5.jpg

Probably a boat engine

volvo_motormuseum_6.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_8.jpg

The Penta R6 from 1942, 11l displacement, pushing out 140hp. Used in boats and trams.

volvo_motormuseum_10.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_9.jpg

Crankshaft and cam off a Volvo airplane engine, produced in the mid 40's, pushing out 1475hp (THAT would make a nice all Volvo engine swap :oogle: )

volvo_motormuseum_13.jpg

Forget the Yamaha V8 and the B36, enter the A8A. This is a PROPPER V8, 22.6l displacement, 410 hp. Used in the m/42 tanks.

volvo_motormuseum_14.jpg

Volvo HA, 1936, 6 cyl 4.1l 75 hp truck engine. Worked by the Hesselman principle, meaning it was started using gasoline, but once running, the fuel supply was switched to oil.

volvo_motormuseum_16.jpg

Another Hesselman engine, the 6.7l 120 hp Volvo FAH. This one was made January 21th 1938.

volvo_motormuseum_18.jpg

One of the largest pre WWII Volvo engines, the 7.6l 140hp FB

volvo_motormuseum_20.jpg

An early Volvo 6cyl car engine, the 3.3l 65hp EB

volvo_motormuseum_22.jpg

A completely INSANE experimental engine design, the Volvo GA roots supercharged X8, X as in 4 cylinder banks of 2 cylinders. Pushing out 70hp from a 1.6 in the late 30's, early 40's!!! Volvo was toying around with the idea of using this engine in the PV444. Now that would have been something!!!! :oogle:

Instead they desided to use this engine:
volvo_motormuseum_24.jpg

The 1.4 40hp B4, the grandfather of our redblocks.

volvo_motormuseum_26.jpg

The 9.6l 150hp Volvo VDF for trucks and busses.

volvo_motormuseum_28.jpg

Now things starts to look familiar, a 108hp B18B

volvo_motormuseum_30.jpg

And it's uncle, the B36AV 120hp V8 used in light trucks.

Now for some whiteblock prn:
volvo_motormuseum_32.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_33.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_34.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_35.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_36.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_37.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_38.jpg

Now we're talking. A 850 TWR racing engine :oogle:

volvo_motormuseum_39.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_40.jpg

And finaly, a propper redblock, a B230FT, probably one of the last produced.

Unfortenately I didn't get time to take any more pics, as the others didn't share my interest in engines:rofl:

Last edited:
very cool pictures and info, thanks for sharing.

the cooling fans on that 22.6 liter V8 took away 30 hp... 380 chp. efan time :-P

That TWR Whiteblock has a very cool engine stand in the shape of a V. lol

One of the last B230FT's... the end of an era. damn it looks sharp in un-faded non rusted out red and fresh aluminium... ;-)

omfg... so awesome, thanks alot for the pics!!!

Is it possible to buy a spanking new b230ft?
If so how much!!! its so damn beautiful!!!

tWR 4TW!

Background: As part as my job as a foudry engineer, I am memeber of a Nordic Usergroup for a casting simulation software. The user group activities involves foundry/factory visits, and last month we visited Volvo Powertrain in Sk?vde (Good, I love my job:cool: ),

Thanks for shareing !!!!!!

Want to cast some new heads if I send you the 3D files??? :)

Thanks for shareing !!!!!!

Want to cast some new heads if I send you the 3D files??? :)

I have had the technical responsibility for the casting of your biggest heads (ship diesel engines, 500kW/cyl), but I doubt you wold like to get them in cast iron, even though it is a much better material than people seem to believe.

I have had the technical responsibility for the casting of your biggest heads (ship diesel engines, 500kW/cyl), but I doubt you wold like to get them in cast iron, even though it is a much better material than people seem to believe.

only thing I don't like about iron is machining it, it's a "dirty" process...I have a set of vented rotors for a customer on my lathe that I need to remove 2mm off the diameter and I am not looking foward to the mess it is going to make........

I really think a redblock could take the abuse of being converted to diesel, I've been trying to find a cheap VW TDi cylinder head on eBay to purchase and use that for design purposes..if I read this correctly TDi tech, the "firing" order is the same between a TDi and a redblock, so parts of the TDi could be used, such as the camshaft.

volvo_motormuseum_39.jpg

volvo_motormuseum_40.jpg

And finaly, a propper redblock, a B230FT, probably one of the last produced.

Unfortenately I didn't get time to take any more pics, as the others didn't share my interest in engines:rofl:

Volvo never put B230FT's in 240's right? only the 740? Also is that a T4 or T5 turbo? Its for a FWD car right?

Back