• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Will an engine from an auto fit my manual?

ClisClis

Hi all
Short question

I have a manual 945 B230FK with a broken engine.
I have chance to get a cheap replacement engine with 150k which is not even half of the kilometers mine currently has.

Its also from a '97 945, also a b230fk. But the donator car was an auto gearbox, mine is a manual.

Will the engine fit anyway?
Or is there any additional step required?

Yeah, they are..

But wanted to make sure that there is no such thing like a very special connection between engine and transmission that could cause issues here?

thats very nice to hear :)

But will i be able to take the one from the current engine and place it into the new engine (speaking of the pilot bearing) ?
Or is something special needed here since its a "different engine"?

Yes get a new one, the old one will get damaged. You didn't told us what kind of gearbox is in your car. The pilot bearings are different between M46+overdrive and M90!
You can use the M46 one in combination with a M90 and not and never the other way around!
Best is allways to explain all:
Year of car
Type of gearbox
Year or number of engine from the junkyard

Regards, Kay
"It's also a 1997 945 FK" ok, you have a M90?( in Europe all 1997 B230FK are with M90) This pilot bearing you won't get out without damage.

Yeah, i have the M90 Gearbox.
Will look out for a new one then.
Thanks

So nothing has to be done cable wise or on the controllers?

Last edited:
if you install the engine from that car with automatic gbox into your car with manual gbox you need to swap the flywheel from your broken engine onto the crank of the good engine. (remove the torque convertor and flexplate from the good engine) While you do that you might as well inspect the rear crank oil seal. It's cheap to replace and it might save you a lot of work later on.
Be very careful how you install that flywheel because when you clock it wrong the engine will not run. 8 positions possible, only 1 is correct.
Use some blue loctite on the flywheel bolts when you torque them down.
You will also need a clutch alignment tool when you bolt down the clutch pressure plate. If the friction plate is not centered you will have a LOT of trouble installing the engine against the gearbox.

i don't expect you to have problems with electrics/electronics.

Great question actually. There are times when the engines are a little different.
For instance Chrysler 440s when they went to a cast iron crankshaft about 1973. In a futile attempt to avoid bankruptcy they didn't drill the pilot bearing hole in the cranks to be fitted with automatics. Probably over 90% at the time.
Of course we don't give a rip about old Chryslers here but the point is differences happen.

The M90 does not need or use a pilot/spigot bearing. There is a bushing pressed into the crank on M90 equipped cars but it is only there for the tool to center the clutch disc upon installation.

A 1997 engine will work just fine.

Older engines without the threaded holes for the crank sensor would require drilling and tapping to mount the sensor, but not an issue here.

Crank is the same.

Make sure the gap in the flywheel holes aims at the starter at TDC , not straight up!

Back