• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fitted daughter board, now it won't start!

I get those bent header things at my local Surplus Gizmo's myself. Right by the Sillycone Forest they call it over by Hillsburro where they make all the puter thinga ma jigs. Usually you just cut the extra pins off those bent header delios so they are then the correct number of pins....

www.surplusgizmos.com

I'm still confused as to where the extra hole is and how come there isn't a good pic of the correct way to solder it in?? I can't see the holes on the main board in the pic posted at all.

i redid mine today, still no start with chips installed. :grrr:

running it in stock configuration for now. tired of the na ezk making the car ping like crazy.

Here's another picture from sweedespeed
Foto52_zps6de64cad.jpg

If you count holes starting from the left, you'll count 21 holes a gap and the hole with a "1" over it. The daughter board is 20 pins. When installed, the hole on the left should still be empty.

(It actually looks like the db was mis-installed in this sweedespeed picture :omg:
Important_zps46331425.jpg
)

If anyone's interested, it should be simple to add a couple switches with the daughterboard to switch between EZK images -- maybe a premium vs. cheap gas switch? Your chip supplier would need to understand how to put multiple images on a single chip for this to work, and you could only switch images when powered off (although switch-on-the-fly is possible with an extra chip added).

I'm glad to know that it wasn't my goof trying to follow a guide. My first pin is in the T741 trace. My joints look good, i cut the 20 pin header off the main board, then cut the black plastic between the pins and pushed the pins through the hole. Went through sucked the solder back out and installed the DB again with the correct alignment.

i redid mine today, still no start with chips installed. :grrr:

running it in stock configuration for now. tired of the na ezk making the car ping like crazy.

There's a chance that the chips on the daughterboard were damaged during the mis-install but it doesn't seem likely. The T741 trace on the right is the main +5volt power for the db. With the db shifted, it would be missing power. The outputs of the CPU chip are pretty wimpy and I don't think they have enough power to cause any damage. Maybe something else got tweaked during the rework? Inspect everything with a bright light and a high power magnifying glass.

Does it work with chips removed and jumper in 1-2 position? How about with 20-pin chip installed (U shaped depression towards center of db) and jumper still in 1-2 position?

I have a stock (non-chipped) 148 Turbo EZK box here that I got from another member (should be good but not actually tested by me). If you continue to have problems, I'll be glad to trade you.

The chips are still installed on the board, jumper in 1-2 position it starts. All the pins on the chips are properly installed. I'll go back over it again another day. I appreciate the offer.

This thread has me apprehensive about the daughterboard I bought from Yoshi and have fitted to my EZK. Know that you guys used a different vendor but still.....

I'll find out this weekend if it works or not.

I think you'll be fine with the preassembled board. Thanks to Bob, make sure you install in the correct orientation and trace

Back