• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 Volvo 244, I need some opinions, should I get it?

JVC

Alright, some of you may remember me from the Volvo 144S that I was gonna get for like $325, that didn't happen. So I started looking around and I found a buddy of mine with an 1980 Volvo 244 that he said he's sell me for about the same price. It definitely needs some work but I'll show you all some pictures.

What I could see it needed were
Headlights
Grille
Spark Plug Wires
Battery
Fluids and Caps for some fluids under hood. (coolant? washer fluid? I dunno what it needs but I noticed a cap or two missing)
No Audio System, nothing that robbing one from a junkyard car can't fix, or a cheap setup from best buy can't fix.
An interior panel by drivers knees, thats why you can see wires hanging down.
Center console.

Is there anything that I should really look for to make sure is in decent condition? I couldn't get in the car the other day so I haven't checked the trunk and floorboards, but if those are decent then I'll be getting it (cross your fingers).

It's definitely got some rust, but nothing that looked really messed up.

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3706.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if you think I should get it!

John

I'm a cheap bastard and wouldn't touch that thing for $300.

I recently sold my 82 244 TIC for $300 with a new windshield, no rust, only problem was it didnt want to start. Some kind of fuel relay problem.

You can do better for $300, as ridiculous as it sounds.

I've had some trouble finding stuff around here for $300 though, thats the problem. It seems everything for this price has way more damage, or is rusted through here or there. I'm looking for something in this price range, less than $500, needs some work, paint can be not so great, as long as its not rusted through everywhere, and as long as the motor will run and doesn't need a full rebuild or replacement. I'd love it if you guys would help me out in finding something because I'm looking on Craigslist, Cars.com and not finding much... occasionally one or two, but there are always big underlying problems.

I'm looking for a 240 or a 700 series Wagon (Not a fan of the 700 sedans... sorry if I offended).

Thanks
John

A lot of times it depends on where you are at. For instance where i live. 244 Volvos are 1 for every 50,000 cars on the road roughly. They can sell for scrap price, about $250, to as much as $3,500 depending on year and condition dealer or private party. Also helps if you know someone and they don't care how much it goes for. So for your this car, hear one would expect between $500 and $800 me thinks. Never hearts to low ball either just to see. Worst that will happen is you'll be told no.

To me it looks in darn good exterior condition. Fix the minor rust that is obvious. And make it a good driver. raid the junk yard for headlights and other parts or look on here as they come and go a lot.

my :twocents:

Cheers

If the hood looks that bad, the rest of the car has to be horrible (especially considering where you live). You couldn't pay me to take it.

Of course, I've seen some incredible deals on cars. If you don't mind fighting the cancer, then go for it.

Cheaper to go import something from a non-rusty state. The South tends to be a good place to pick them up on the cheap. There are several on our CL in Atlanta for under 1k.

You'll thank yourself in the end... and in the beginning... and all those times in between where you're not fixing rust.

Not worth it. Too rusty. Needs too much work. Just be patient and you'll find a better 240 with a turbo and manual transmission. I wouldn't take it for free.

That thing is way too rusty. You better like doing body work.

I don't mind some decent body work but you have to see that it's really hard to get something for so cheap up here, that isn't truly rusted through where you can see through the panels. I'd love to import something from a less rusty state but I don't know where to look. Finding a car that I can get to my house for around $500 is a lot harder than it sounds. Especially in an area that rusts through cars that are always driven. It's a lot harder to find something that isn't rusty.

Besides here, is there any other really good place to look to find an old Volvo for cheaper? eBay maybe?

Thanks
John

EDIT: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/car/556257222.html
Thats the only other thing that has looked decent, great color combo but has been in an accident and 'm not sure about frame damage, or if those panels would be just replaceable and then good... thinking its more than it looks...

Last edited:
its my car, 350$ is a steal around here. The car runs and drives, period. A running and driving car is worth 1 grand around here anytime anywhere. People know what there s**ts worth around here and dont give TI cars away for pocket change. Hey, i have a N.A 16valve 740 sedan also, and a turbo wagon, and 2 86+ N.A 244's. As i like to say, this car is the cost of a pair of jeans.

Edit: yeah, that craigslist post is what 500$ with get you around here, a twisted frame bent car, that wont run.

That 242 Doesn't look half bad, needs a rear quarter panel fix up... It's a bit far to just go look at it though. I'll email the guy and see what he has to say about it.

Thanks for the links!

I know where you can get a good 76' 245 for 800 bucks down here. I'd say you could talk him down to 5 or 6 and drive it back.

I don't know what the black is, seemed like a paint of some sort...

I sent an email out to the guy with the 242, gonna seriously try to get that if all goes well.

mrsam740 - do you have more information on the '76 245? I may be interested in that as a possibility.

Back